Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local trustworthy CARQUEST parts guy tells me that he can get OEM Subaru Super Coolant from one of his suppliers, so I placed an order for a one-gallon jug this morning. We will see if it is indeed a perfect match when it shows up in his store in a day or two.

The three Subaru parts departments in my neck of the woods all sell the one-gallon jugs for $27.00 to $31.00 each. My cost at CARQUEST will be $16.95. No idea if this is just a lucky regional availability, but those of you who have CARQUEST stores in your area may want to check with them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
got a stock # for carquest? ....I wonder if the same # would work at Advance. (they merged a few years back)

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local Advance Auto Parts stores did not have it and did not indicate they could get it.

My CARQUEST guy just called to say my gallon jug just came off their truck. Now that's fast service.

After I pick it up (assuming it is indeed the correct coolant), I will post the CARQUEST part number.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am back from CARQUEST with my gallon of blue coolant. As expected, it does not have the proprietary Subaru label on the jug but it is indeed the OEM formula meeting the required ASTM 3306 specs.

The CARQUEST part number is 3E100-461595CCI. It is a 50/50 mix. I paid $16.08.

Do your own due diligence and decide if this works for you. I did mine and concluded that I would not pay Subaru nearly twice as much money for the same product with their label on it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
does it say any other car manufacture?

like is it zerex or valvoine blue antifreeze? (that may last 8 years in a subaru vs. the 11 years of the OEM).

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is indeed some good information, thanks for posting it.

Keep in mind that the auto manufacturers do not make the various fluids required in their vehicles. They simply have their custom label applied to the container and jack up the retail price. That exact same fluid may be used by many auto manufacturers in many different models. The key, as always, is to do the necessary research to ensure that the product you select meets the required specs spelled out in the owners manual or shop manual. In my case with this blue coolant, it certainly does.

One of the best examples of this involves our two Jaguars (a 2005 S-Type and a 2006 XK8) with the German-built six-speed ZF automatic transmission. The ZF-brand ATF for that transmission typically sells for $50 or more per litre at the Jaguar (or BMW or Mercedes) dealership parts department, and these gearboxes require 10 litres for a complete ATF drain-and-fill. You could find it online for perhaps $35 per litre which is somewhat better but still too pricey for a number of us owners to justify. So some of us Jaguar Forum members did some extensive research and learned that the Lincoln Navigators from that same era have the same six-speed ZF automatic transmission which came filled from the factory with Ford Mercon SP ATF. Mercon SP ATF costs around $7 per quart from any Ford dealership parts department and it is the very same formula meeting the Shell M1375.4 specs required by ZF. The only difference is the color - ZF's ATF is gold while Ford's Mercon SP ATF is red. To make a long story a bit shorter, most of us switched over to Mercon SP ATF years ago when gearbox drain-and-fill time rolled around, saved a ton of money, and our ZF six-speed transmissions never missed a beat. Both of our Jaguars have more than 100,000 miles on them now and their ZF transmissions continue to perform exactly as designed running the far more economical Mercon SP ATF instead of the ZF "Liquid Gold" ATF as it has since come to be called by those of us on the Jaguar Forum.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my neck of the woods, yes.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ Agreed. My research tells me that Pentofrost A3 is indeed the same formula with a different label.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
I checked with my local dealer this morning and their Super Blue is $44.99 a gallon! LOL

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That may be a record price. Unfortunately, there are gullible folks out there who will meekly pay it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts