Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Easter dinner yesterday, I got to show my car to my aunt for the first time. When she & my uncle moved back to PA from Great Britain around 1980, snowy winters were quite a shock to him (a native Londoner) so they got the only available car with 4WD- a small Subaru wagon. I don't even remember if they were called GL's that long ago.

I do remember years later with my learner's permit getting practice with a stick-shift on that car. Ahh, 4 speed manual, and, uh, power brakes completed the equipment list on that sturdy little bugger :D It just ran and ran until the body completely disintegrated away from the still-solid drivetrain!

Needless to say, she was amazed at how well outfitted Subarus are these days. I didn't even get started on how much nicer yet they will be for MY05 :)

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I saw a Subaru Justy ECVT (89 I think) in my town Friday and what I think was an 87 or 88 XT-6 a few weeks ago. Nice to know those older models are still kickin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you're into older Subies, check the USMB forum. Evidently there still are some die-hard fans of old school Subarus. (BTW, I got my alloys for my OBS from a guy on that board...)

Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tbert

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Yup, I learned to drive in a '71 Subaru ff-1, 4 door sedan, 4spd, fwd, AM radio and a walnut steering wheel w/a god awfully huge black horn pad(too big to be a button)

Perfected my snow and off driving abilities in my second car a '78 BRAT.

That was then, Now, I am kept more civilized by my wife in our '02 OB. BUT, I am FREE (in about 6 years) in my '90 Legacy wanna be racer, except when cited and convicted for wreckless driving(65 in a 30 on a country road at night in a construction zone).

0-45 can be fun too.

Also, then aftermarket used to laugh at me when inquiring about speed part for Subarus. Now, they say "If you had an Impreza WRX we could help you." Yeah, I am a little bitter. Anybody know where I can get Polyurethane bushing for my '90?

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
aaah yes- my old brat of indiscrimanant liniage.

It was the first vehicle that I had bought with my own hard earned money.

I remember how the driver's side fender used to flap in the breeze.

I remember how I got the sound that so many subie owners pay good money for as there were more holes in the ehaust that metal.

I remember taking it to our old mecanic to get it smogged and remembed how he laughed and laughed until I slipped him some cash.

I remember the day the windows exploded while it was basking in the sun on a warm summer's day.

I remember the look on the tow truck driver's face has he came to pick it up when I donated it to the Society for the Blind.

good car.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Our family's first Subaru was a little 1982 sedan, and it was a sweetie. It always ran well, even if it was a bit tinny. I installed an Alpine cassette/radio in it and it was a good match.

Dad only got rid of it when he traded for the 1986 GL turbo sedan - another good car.

Hmm, now that I think of it, he has owned nothing but Subarus for 22 years.

OTOH my mother will give up her 1989 Oldsmobile 88 when you pry her cold dead fingers off of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts