Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
Now Toyota is my second favorite brand and a company I'd certainly trust as far as making a great engine in whatever form it may be. If the Hybrid Subie is anywhere near as good as the Hybrid Highlander, OMG wine will fall from the heavens and crowds will sing & dance! :D

I'm wondering what Subaru engine they'll be implementing the hybrid tech with though? 3.0-H6, I'd wager...

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
665 Posts
Toyota, Subaru..hmmm..

My other car is an '02 Toyota MR2 Spyder..

I've got the best combo,

MR2 = no room, a perfect summer car
Outback = Lots of room, a perfect winter car.

Before I got my Outback, I was considering the Highlander hybrid but I couldn't wait for Toyota to release it and I knew it would be some time for it to be available too.

I've read that Toyota wants to put a hybrid engine in every model they offer. Of course, 2005 is like the last year they're going to import the MR2..

Jay

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay H said:
T

Before I got my Outback, I was considering the Highlander hybrid but I couldn't wait for Toyota to release it and I knew it would be some time for it to be available too.

Jay
Me too! I was actually driving a Highlander 2001 that I traded in for the OBXT. I was originally planning to buy a Highlander Hybrid but they kept delaying it and I didn't want to have to pay a premium to get on a waiting list.

They are promising 4Cyl-like fuel efficiency and V8-like torque. I believe the gas engine is FWD only for fuel efficiency but there is an electrical motor on both axles to provide AWD traction. That's a compelling combo!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Or you have 2 engines, one driving the front axle and one driving the rear. I think there is a Citroen on the rally circuit that does just this (not a hybrid, but a car with 2 engines to drive both pairs of wheels).

Jay

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
This is awesome news! Now I can keep both my subie and toy!
YEA!!! :2:

Maybe I'll trade both cars in for the first "Subayota"

{Hero Note} How about a "Toyobaru" :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
that's awesome. I wonder how many years before we might see something (doesn't look like the relationship is officially cemented, either).

·
Registered
31 Posts
ROMBINE: that's awesome. I wonder how many years before we might see something (doesn't look like the relationship is officially cemented, either).
4 years. winter 2009. that's when my lease is up and i drive away with a new 300HP+, 0-60 <6sec., 40MPG OBXT HYBRID

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I'm hoping for August 2007, when I will get "Turdboss Two."

·
Registered
665 Posts
2.5XT Hybrid.

The world's first Turbo-Hybrid!

I wonder how big a windmill one would have to have on top of their car to generate enough power to overcome the inherent increase in winddrag? Imagine an Outback with a windmill, solar panels, a hybrid motor, perhaps a tank for some biofuel..

Then in the passenger side, a set of pedals like from a paddleboat. Hey, no free rides in my Outback, you want to ride with me, you gonna work for it! :)

Jay

P.S. Oh, I forgot, a set of hampsters in the back driving a big hampter wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Screw the hybrid, I want a car with metabolism!

If only we could get an engine to run on cheeseburgers and skittles! All you'd have to do is use a diesel biofuel motor and put in a blender set to frappe before the fuel pump! :p

This way McDonalds could own EVERYTHING. Maybe this isn't such a good idea...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used to think that the Toyota hybrid was great (I use one for work sometimes), until I bought my XT. Tonight I drove a brand new Prius for an hour, and it was, well, [yawn] okay. Cool keyless ignition, that was the highlight. What I used to think was great acceleration before driving the XT is now.... just ho-hum.

Another odd thing. I usually like that new car smell. The Prius was weird; it smells b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d inside. (No, I dont think anybody farted or something before I drove it.) Interior is just okay.
I sure wouldn't buy one of them, but the Highlander or Lexus hybrid? Maybe. (Like Sly said, the thought of paying a premium to sit on Toyota's waitlist was so 'not me.') In Canada, we can't buy new Toyota products for less than sticker price west of Thunder Bay Ontario, and that's a general deterrent too. (Officially of course, there's no preventing sales below MSRP. But try and do it, even with cash/no trade, and multiple units of the same model on the car lot. The dealers won't budge. Shopping around makes no difference either. If they tried stuff like that in the U.S. they'd get slapped with a suit so fast they'd spin. But not in the great white Nor')

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing