Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I know this isn't a Tribeca forum, a guy on the fb tribeca group told me to post here because they share drivetrains. Anyways,
Asking for a relative, they got a dtc(they didn't give me the number but I assume it was in the P0768 range) anyways it came up about the shift solenoid D as the issue. They took it to a transmission shop and supposedly paid for the part and the guy to install it. No change, but when you clear the keep alive memory, the thing will drive just fine for 15-30 min before it goes back into what I assume is limp mode. I mainly work on domestic vehicles but to me it doesn't sound like a mechanical issue because it would never go away. Mainly curious is this a common problem and if so what's the fix? Since it runs and drives great after the KAM has been cleared that leads me to think it's an electrical issue, either a wire or possibly another sensor. Trans guy said the fluid was clean and didn't smelled burned. I believe it's an 06 but I may be off a year. I'm just trying to help them figure it out without playing parts changer game like most "mechanics" do. I'll try to get the exact code number and update this post. Also when it's in "limp" mode the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. Thanks for any possible help, I've had friends with WRXs and STis but never messed with any suv/crossover types. Sorry for the long winded post, thanks in advance.:nerd:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Old cruddy unserviced fluid history? Its not uncommon to see reports of this when the fluid is well past its end of service life. Many have reported luck in flushing the AT with fresh quality ATF possibly more than once.

The other question would be any high water events recently? That would play into your electrical bug theory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they've owned it even a year yet but I know it's not been in high water since they've owned it. I'm not sure if the transmission guy change get the fluid or not(probably not knowing this area).

I don't see a mechanical issue being the fault or even with the keep alive memory cleared it should on theory do the exact same thing it does when the dtc gets thrown. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
18,159 Posts
Shift solenoid "D" is the Direct Clutch control solenoid. There's two related codes (based on 2007 FSM), P0766 and P0768, both of which, when set, cause the transmission control module to go into failsafe (limp) mode (fixed in 4th gear).

Subaru does not supply replacement parts for the valve body (where the solenoids are located). It's possible that if the solenoid was indeed changed, the shop used an aftermarket part (if even available), or a used part (solenoid or complete valve body). What's on the invoice?

In any event, the ATF would have had to be drained from the pan to access the valve body, and presumably replaced, or at least examined, so it should be in reasonable state.

Was the problem (faulty shift solenoid "D"?) diagnosed by the transmission shop with the recommendation it be replaced? If so, has the car been taken back?

This thread might be of interest: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/126146-p0700-p0741-p0768.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much Plain OM, I'm glad you said that about the valvebody because I had read that before on searches but didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth. This car belongs to my wife's mother so I'll have to ask about the invoice, let me put it this way, she told me she paid 58$ for the part and the install.......

LOL. I'm not sure how many quarts the pan holds to do a normal service but the fluid and pan drain/pour fluid in would cost 58$.

So what are my options here, buy a used valvebody and install with a fluid flush? I still have yet to see the code pulled in person or seen it drive/rode in it. I'm kind of blind in the situation but just wanting to help out. Thanks guys, I'll read that thread also.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
what year tribeca you got?

3.0 discussion is not always the same as 3.6.

while you are under the hood notice how old the battery is:

. ...one thing a old battery does is make the EAT trans run like crap and then light up the dash with a christmas tree of lights as all those systems are getting only 90% of the power, when they need 100% of the power.

such may augment the other issues you have. ... any other dash light in the car will turn the VDC off light on. (just saying it won't help when the thing is slipping sideways on ice)

·
Registered
18,159 Posts
So what are my options here, buy a used valvebody and install with a fluid flush?
For the time being hold off on doing any purchases or work, such as replacing the valve body, until there's more information to work with, including the year, engine size, and the code (or codes) that were identified, details from the invoice, and better still, until you have seen and/or driven the car.

That said, eagleeye's comment about the battery condition is another factor to be considered.

·
Registered
'08 3.0R Limited Sedan; '09 Outback 3.0R
152 Posts
First off I know this isn't a Tribeca forum, a guy on the fb tribeca group told me to post here because they share drivetrains
Welcome! That guy on FB was me, and as you're seeing the knowledge is much higher here. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! That guy on FB was me, and as you're seeing the knowledge is much higher here. Good luck!
Thanks!! Glad you introduced yourself.

Since it's the holidays and everyone has been busy all over managed to learn so far is it is for sure an 06 tribeca sport. She was waiting on the transmission guy to call back with the part number of the part they used to replace the factory part. Also she did say it has a new battery(a few months old now). As I figure out more info I'll let you guys know. Thanks ks for the help so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts