Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a copy of this TSB?
This is what I was able to find:
"This bulletin announces availability of new front wheel hub assemblies incorporating bearing surfaces having increased resistance to imperfections resulting from shock loads."

Does this mean I could get new front wheel hub assemblies under this TSB?

I just paid $400 yesterday to get the drivers side rear bearing assembly replaced after bearing failure. Is there something available for the rear as well that I have missed?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, it sounds like Subaru will only replace the wheel hub assembly if the car is still under the original power train warranty. Am I reading that correctly?

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
259 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like Subaru will only replace the wheel hub assembly if the car is still under the original power train warranty. Am I reading that correctly?
I read it and it also covers Subaru extended warranties (powertrain, silver, gold, etc).

Jason

·
Registered
21 LTD 2.5
35 Posts
Does anybody have a copy of this TSB?
This is what I was able to find:
"This bulletin announces availability of new front wheel hub assemblies incorporating bearing surfaces having increased resistance to imperfections resulting from shock loads."

Does this mean I could get new front wheel hub assemblies under this TSB?

I just paid $400 yesterday to get the drivers side rear bearing assembly replaced after bearing failure. Is there something available for the rear as well that I have missed?
So why didn’t the power train warranty cover it? It’s good till 60k?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So why didn’t the power train warranty cover it? It’s good till 60k?
Almost 90k miles on the odo.
And Subaru told be that I am out of goodwill tokens with them.
They have covered a windshield and a battery in the past, and they are done now with me because of that.

I guess it works out as I have already changed brands by buying a Rav4 Prime instead of another Outback, since son #2 will soon take over the gen6 OB.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,106 Posts
Took them just over 15 years to get it right, if they did. This hub unit is dimensionally identical to the one introduced on 2006 Tribeca (with 5x114.3 stud pattern), as you can see from this document.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would be good if they would come up with a solution for the rear also.
And I think they should cover it.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,686 Posts
This is just the gamble you take when not springing for an extended warranty - I've repaired a few things over 100k miles, but nowhere near $1500 worth of things, so I'm happy. Could be dumb luck, but I've hit lots of potholes and my original bearings still run quiet.

Anyway, I get the frustration, but not sure I follow this logic. A product I own is improved upon (at least it seems likely it can be improved upon), therefore I'm entitled to the new version at no cost? Sure, it's happened before, but it's not commonplace IME.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is just the gamble you take when not springing for an extended warranty - I've repaired a few things over 100k miles, but nowhere near $1500 worth of things, so I'm happy. Could be dumb luck, but I've hit lots of potholes and my original bearings still run quiet.

Anyway, I get the frustration, but not sure I follow this logic. A product I own is improved upon (at least it seems likely it can be improved upon), therefore I'm entitled to the new version at no cost? Sure, it's happened before, but it's not commonplace IME.
Not sure what logic. From what I am seeing, it's a flaw that affects many Outbacks, and is around for 15+ years without much attention given to it by Subaru.
But you are right - Subaru can do whatever they want in this situation, and they did. It's perfectly within their rights. No arguing. I just stated what "I think" they should do if they want to retain their customer base and reputation.
And me as a consumer? - I can and will react accordingly. I already did by changing brands for our next car.
Still good information though here and having access to this TSB. If one of the front bearings goes, I will make sure it's replaced with one of the updated bearings.
I have been in the same boat as you with the extended warranty decisions. Haven't had a car with $1,500+ in needed repairs yet. And have never bought an extended warranty. Knock on wood. :)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,686 Posts
Right, but what we see reported here is just a small sampling of owner experiences, and a strongly biased one at that.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is really useful. My 2015 Outback is going in at 1:30pm tomorrow. I had a rear replaced at ~65,000. It would be nice to get two new fronts.
Do you have an extended warranty?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,724 Posts
But, if I'm understanding correctly, one or both of your front bearings would have to be acting up (or repaired previously) in order to get this replacement covered, no?
Sure. For all I know, the rumble is a rear bearing again. My wishful thinking is they decide to reply both fronts with the upgraded hubs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts