Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is a user who got rid of his cobb. Get a proper tune customised to your car.

The cobb loads maps.

Maybe, lets put it this way. Remove the cobb, just get the DBW tune and you will realised the feeling maybe much better :) I can only relate to you what that customer states :)

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
96 Posts
The tune is through Bren Tuning, made for my car. I am not running a Cobb tune, simply using it for the AP as a loader. I couldnt' get the vagcom to work and I don't have a tactrix.

Are you suggesting to go with your engine and transmission tune packaged together?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
1,064 Posts
The tune is through Bren Tuning, made for my car. I am not running a Cobb tune, simply using it for the AP as a loader. I couldnt' get the vagcom to work and I don't have a tactrix.
When using the Vagcom cable make sure you're using a version of EcuFlash no higher than 1.29 or it won't work. Romraider will work fine as is.

·
Registered
05 outback 2.5xt 5eat
141 Posts
i also would like to use the cobb as my loading source, due to the fact that i love the gauges, and the ability to real time tune, the economy tune and the valet mode. basicaly id like to get the xtr 5eat but i need the ability to use the cobb is this possible ? If not ill end up spending more than double for the hexmod valvebody

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
gtonstilts:

Can you post your thoughts here on the 5EAT?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/150330-gen-3-xrt-tuning-3.html#post1856481
Got my version 0.0 Xtreme Racing Tuning tune logged and loaded an hour ago, and man is it a nice difference so far !
Shifts firmer sooner and smoother ! and the lock up seems to engage much sooner :)
also my engine light (due to no cat) was turned off
so far this is way better than the cobb stage 2 off the shelf and we are just getting started. much props to ED at XTR ill keep you guys updated on my coming versions as well as 0-60 comparisons of XTR vs Cobb vs Stock

car is an 05 outback 2.5xt with tsudo up pipe, Invidia turbo back w a random technology high flow cat, a cobb sf intake w box, and perin inlet hose

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/150330-gen-3-xrt-tuning-2.html#post1679938
Sent Ed my logs from v1 last night. Having driven a week on v1 because I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to log more for him for that long, I've got to say the performance improvement is very noticeable, especially when putting your foot down at highway speeds. The car is seriously quick at this point. I suspect it would give a stock 5EAT XT some very strong competition now.

Transmission shifts are no longer "lazy" and manual shifts happen more quickly than they ever did before.

I have been using more fuel...probably because it's just so much more fun to put my foot down now. I don't particularly care about fuel economy anyway :).
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...mance-xtreme-racing-tuning-2.html#post1625257
Ed sent me updated roms a few days ago to try out.

So far I've only had a chance to try one of those, with the results in the above video. Transmission performance improvement was immediate and very obvious. Shifting is much quicker than before and still very smooth. Even through the RPMs drop very fast when shifting I don't feel the shifts at all. The car feels as if there is more torque and that torque feels like it's available sooner. And although preliminary it appears my mileage may have improved too!
Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - RobertF - 2004 ADM Subaru Legacy 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Feedback
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:40:57 +1000
To: XRT

Hey Ed,

I am going for economy primarily, however the car is much more responsive, the adjustments made to the drive by wire made the most noticeable difference in my car. Transmission shifts quicker into the next gear, we had a little play around with this as it was slightly clunking into gears with the initial change. It also shifts down quicker when booted. The power has changed too, there is a spike of power at 3000rpm which wasn't there before, really feels like the cams come on and car pulls really hard from 3k onward.

I have also noticed the cruise control works much better with the tune, it doesn't struggle in hilly terrain. When cruising in drive in the hills it doesn't shuffle for gears anymore either, which is a huge plus.

So how did we go with economy? I did a round trip to the coast from Canberra (included spirited run from Tathra up Brown mountain) and managed 10km/L, average pre-tune was 9km/L at best. So highway driving will net even better. Around town the wife has been getting 8.3 to 8.5km/L about 50km more between fills.

Was it worth it? Yes in short it is more economical, more responsive, it feels like a younger less tired car.

Will it pay itself off? in the long run probably but for now the fun factor is high and the wife loves it.

If I had my time again I would get a CAI and Headers from Raptor before tuning. Would see much more power gain from the tune.

Cheers
Rob
stevenc1703 - 2011 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6R 5EAT - Tuning
Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - Official 3.6R Mod List
xrt controls the shift points indirectly. This car shifts completely differently, it's way smoother, you can hardly tell it shifts in auto and about as fast as a manual in paddle mode
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/150330-gen-3-xrt-tuning-3.html#post1856481
Got my version 0.0 Xtreme Racing Tuning tune logged and loaded an hour ago, and man is it a nice difference so far !
Shifts firmer sooner and smoother ! and the lock up seems to engage much sooner :)
also my engine light (due to no cat) was turned off
so far this is way better than the cobb stage 2 off the shelf and we are just getting started. much props to ED at XTR ill keep you guys updated on my coming versions as well as 0-60 comparisons of XTR vs Cobb vs Stock

car is an 05 outback 2.5xt with tsudo up pipe, Invidia turbo back w a random technology high flow cat, a cobb sf intake w box, and perin inlet hose

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - KaiK - 2008 EDM Subaru Legacy 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: v0
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:07:23 +0300
To: XRT

Hi,
The car really feels like that and even more. The car is way better than what it was with stock ROM. The transmission is a lot of faster than what it used to be. This is how the 5EAT should have worked when it left from the factory (or engineer's table). Now the gear flaps are finally useful.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
WadeG - 2008 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0 5EAT

XRT New 2017 5EAT Stage 2 applied.

EMail
Ed, today driving my car brought a genuine smile to my face.

For v3 you have combined the added power with smooth, fast, telepathic transmission operation. No more clunking or lagging. It knows exactly the right thing to do, whether that be smooth, solid acceleration in Intelligent Mode, or holding gears, revving freely, and firing off snap upshifts at redline in Sport#. The car reacts to throttle inputs in a completely natural, pleasing way.

Thank you :)
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:40 PM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Wade's Review

I had always enjoyed driving my 2008 3.0R Outback, and loved the flat six. But after upgrading the suspension, I wanted more power and was starting to hate my automatic transmission. I'd read so many accounts and reviews of Edward at Xtreme Racing Tuning's capability with the Subaru H6, and especially with his unique ability to upgrade 5eat transmission performance, so I decided to send Ed an email and give it a try myself. I received a response minutes later discussing what I would need to get started- a laptop with Windows and a Tactrix Cable. The process of setting up the laptop with necessary programs was complex, but Ed was able to set up everything for me remotely and walk me through the ECU flashing process the first time around. If I had questions or concerns, Ed was just an email away - his responses always prompt, professional, and helpful. It was clear that Ed is a master of these computer programs and of the H6 5eat cars. If Ed was unavailable, any of his other customers were excited to answer questions or just chat about our cars.

I am now on Version 4 of my XRT tune and I am totally satisfied with my car, and extremely impressed with what Ed has done with my transmission. Automatic mode in Sport# is now nearly telepathic- it rev-match downshifts as I brake into corners and holds revs high until a snappy upshift at redline. The revs do not drop between gear shifts as they did before, but stay right in the power band and the car never stops pulling. Intelligent mode upshifts early and smoothly and keeps revs low. Fifth gear can come as early as 35mph, but the engine pulls strong from 1500rpm- something that never would have happened before. The power increase was shocking. It seemed that huge power starts now at 3000rpm and just never stops.

Overall my favorite changes are:
1.)The way the transmission reads my mind- always in the right gear or ready to respond.
2.)The capability of the car pulling strong way up past 80mph (before, it ran out of steam at 70),
3.)The immediate power off the line to pull away at traffic lights or accelerate into gaps in traffic. Before, the car lagged so much off the line and there was no low end power.

I feel that my car is now safer to drive, better able to take advantage of the sporty Legacy handling, and able to put a genuine smile on my face! Thank you XRT.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
TylerM - 2012 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

TylerM - 2012 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning
Sent: Monday, 30 January 2017 9:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Reply To: Tyler Martin
Subject: Re: v5b

Okay, wow. That made a difference. The shifting is MUCH quicker. The old version did a bit of guessing with what gear to be in, especially with slow accelerations. It is much smarter in deciding what gear to be in. When cruising along at 55mph and then suddenly giving it a lot of gas, the car immediately knows what gear to downshift to and power is put down incredibly quickly. This new stage 2 is amazing!

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 3.6R Limited
125 Posts
I see other people have asked but I never see a diffinative answer.
Is my 5eat's tendency to prematurely upshift by itself while punching it in manual mode normal?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R H6 VDC
278 Posts
Is my 5eat's tendency to prematurely upshift by itself while punching it in manual mode normal?
When you say "prematurely", what exactly does that mean? If you bury it from a start (in sport mode), does it pull to 3K rpms, then shift?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,179 Posts
One thing I know is the 2005-2006 5EAT is diffent unit. It's the jatco unit developed for the G series Nissan's. My 5EATs are my favorite parts of my car, after boost of course.

On the XRT tuning chat, some of the Gen4 OB/Gen5 Leggy guys complain of some wierdness sometimes. There was also a Subaru factory reprogramming and I do not know the effects of that on the stock form 5EAT OR the impacts in conjuction with an XRT tune.

@Golferdude1087 may have some comments or possibly @west_minist can offer thoughts.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Only at the topend or if very hot. Why?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts