Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I asked the question to Subaru.com about purchasing an extended warranty out of state if I live in California. They told me that there are restrictions that do not allow sellers see there response below:

:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

We appreciate your purchase of a 2020 Outback.

Because of the laws in California, should you decide to purchase a Subaru Added Security extended coverage plan for your vehicle, you would need to do so from a Subaru retailer in California.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Grant Noble
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request Number: 1-52067254853

So I cannot find any laws etc. My concern now is if I do purchase out of state will a local dealer honor the service? Can anyone answer this?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,344 Posts
In the future please only post to one forum at a time to reduce duplicate threads.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
So I cannot find any laws etc. My concern now is if I do purchase out of state will a local dealer honor the service? Can anyone answer this?
You may find an out of state dealer will not sell it to you once they learn you reside in California. None the less, once the warranty is associated with your VIN in the Subaru computer system and you have the paperwork, you should be golden.

If you are concerned, I'm sure there are Subaru dealers in California that discount the warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow, not sure how to take this. I agree it's probably in their computer system so it shouldn't be a problem, but there must be a reason Subaru said not to buy from out of state dealer? If my car comes from another state then what? Or if you move to CA then what?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,378 Posts
I wonder if this just goes back to the days when there was a huge difference in cars sold in California and those sold in the real world? These days I believe the term used is 50-state compliant so they are all pretty much the same, but back in the day with all the extra crap I would think repair and maintenance costs could have been considerably higher on California cars so maybe the warranty and warranty price was different. Maybe that carries over to today just because it is easier to not change than to change.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
the contract you get is between you and Subaru of America Services, Inc. - it adds to and extends the Subaru new car warranty. Once it's in the system, it's good at any subaru service department in the US (they have codes that they would bill against that contract if there are warranty repairs).

Where you bought it is important if you want to cancel, you work through the dealer where it's purchased to get the refund (and you might need to provide proof of the odometer reading, etc).

The california law about Vehicle Service Contract Providers is here. Subaru of America Services, Inc is registered with the state of california, it's honored at any subaru dealership in the US. When it's in the system it doesn't say where you bought it (dealers don't care, they just bill against it). The paper copy will have your information and the dealer information on it (again, in case you want to cancel and get a partial refund).

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I wonder if this just goes back to the days when there was a huge difference in cars sold in California and those sold in the real world? These days I believe the term used is 50-state compliant so they are all pretty much the same, but back in the day with all the extra crap I would think repair and maintenance costs could have been considerably higher on California cars so maybe the warranty and warranty price was different. Maybe that carries over to today just because it is easier to not change than to change.
I dunno. I'm cynical and would say it seems it protects whomever lobbied the state legislature the best ;)

California law allows a profit on VSCs (vehicle service contracts), but not on MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance). California also allows MBI to be purchased from wherever (although the insurance entity must still register in the state of california). But not the same treatment for a VSC, even if the VSC is backed and registered as an out of state entity (as in the case of Subaru).

"Car dealers are allowed by law to make a profit on the sale of a VSC. They may charge you as much as you are willing to pay (and as much as the company financing your vehicle is willing to finance). By contrast, the CDI limits the price of MBI to what is considered fair and reasonable. MBI may only be sold by CDI-licensed insurance companies and CDI-licensed insurance agents. Agents who sell MBI receive a commission. Unlike VSCs, MBI legally may be bought and sold on the Internet, but only by an insurance company or agent licensed by the CDI."

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
685 Posts
Fucking Peoples Republic of Kalifornia never fails.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
120 Posts
Okay, so I asked the question to Subaru.com about purchasing an extended warranty out of state if I live in California. They told me that there are restrictions that do not allow sellers see there response below:

:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

We appreciate your purchase of a 2020 Outback.

Because of the laws in California, should you decide to purchase a Subaru Added Security extended coverage plan for your vehicle, you would need to do so from a Subaru retailer in California.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Grant Noble
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request Number: 1-52067254853

Not sure how SOA would know you didn't plan (for a spell) to move to another state? What if an AZ owner moved to California?

Toyota also prohibits dealers from selling warranties to owners out of their home state....

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,378 Posts
There have been several mentions recently of cases where dealers have stopped selling warranties to people out of state. It hasn't been clear whether that is Subaru cracking down on the practice or just individual dealers changing their own policies. It may be that some Subaru dealers were feeling the hit of getting undercut on such a good profit center and complained to Subaru, and Subaru is trying to help level the playing field by discouraging the sale of warranties out of state.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2019 CPO car from another state and was going to get the extended warranty.... so I had their financial director guy who handles these call Subaru directly. He said, she said, that California and now Florida, have laws that require extended warranties to be purchased in the state where the car is first registered only. So if I live in CA and buy a car from another state, they can not sell me a warranty and the automatic extended powertrain warranty on a CPO car doesn't apply!! Only these two states. So I have to buy my car, register it in CA, then buy the extended warranty. If you purchase the car, live in another state, register the car and get an extended warranty..... then move to CA that's all still good. Just like I'm on the hook for CA sales tax too.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,001 Posts
Subaru didn't quite get it right, according to the VSCP regulations explained at the California Department of Insurance link provided by @walker above.

The VSCP provider has to be registered with the California Department of Insurance in order to sell to a California resident, but it doesn't say anything about having to be a retailer in the state. But this might be a moot point if Subaru came down harder on their dealers than what the law required them to do, as a result of the California retailers complaining about losing sales to out-of-state web-based providers. Subaru is the obligor here, and can call the shots.

As a matter of practice, it's unenforceable at the point of VSCP utilization. A ten year contract covers a lot of time, and there would be many legitimate instances where they have to honor a VSCP sold out-of-state: a traveler who suffers a breakdown while visiting California and gets it repaired there, a person who buys a VSCP out-of-state and then moves into California, a part-year resident with a legal residence elsewhere, a second owner who bought from an out-of-state first owner and had the contract transferred, etc.

But it is enforceable at the point of VSCP sale, and the "police force" here is likely a California resident who turns them in (which probably actually happens, i.e. the dealers' employees and family members could pose as buyers to see if they can get a bite).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all so much this is extremely frustrating because it seems like the California dealers or at least the Finance Managers such as Jud at Hansel Subaru uses the same old sales tactics and then thinks he is giving me a "deal" by offering my 2200 on a 7yr warranty! Which is after I had walked away....and he had emailed me! That alone makes me not want to do business with him. So I had read some posts and am hoping the dealer down in Southern California can match the price I got from a back east dealer if not....I will role the dice I guess....unless someone has had a experience in where the warranty was denied service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts