Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
moved to news and media.

subaru really has to give its concept cars better names. Viziv This?? Viziv That??

I mean how about Susan, Jennifer, ???

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,290 Posts
I like the basic shape. of course, It will be less dynamic.
if it makes it to production. I would be in the market after the first year of production if the interior is made plusher and much quieter, more safety features and reliable electronics.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If the Ascent can draw enough buyers needing SUV features, maybe the Outback can get back to being a station wagon again. I can only hope...

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,290 Posts
If the Ascent can draw enough buyers needing SUV features, maybe the Outback can get back to being a station wagon again. I can only hope...
Not sure what you mean. I thought the current OB was a raised station wagon. :)

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Just like most folks in Colorado ... It's to high. It's needs come down a bit. Lose the stilts and the body cladding and then it's a true "station wagon"

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
I think it will become less of a SUV and more Audi all track/Buick wagon with the Forester and Ascent being the SUV'S of the family but the Legacy wagon days are gone

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It got decidedly SUV-like with the 2010 revamp. There's been less to differentiate it from the Forester ever since.

With the Ascent added to the lineup, Subaru has a shot at offering a small SUV, large SUV, sedan & wagon as Forester, Ascent, Legacy & Outback, respectively. There's always going to be some overlap between these, but now they can afford to add some further distinction between them.

For me, the magic formula has always been "car (as in NOT TRUCK) with extra ground clearance." If they keep offering that, I'll stay interested.

Just remember- Subaru has been showing wild concept cars for decades, and the production models tend to carry through little more than the vaguest style elements.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I personally like the concept look of the Viziv and would like to get excited about it, but our 2018 OB will likely be our last Subaru. I am not a fan of four cylinder turbos. I much prefer displacement for more power. We were actually considering an Ascent until we learned that it wasn't offered with the 3.6. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Beary

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
I am not a fan of four cylinder turbos. I much prefer displacement for more power. We were actually considering an Ascent until we learned that it wasn't offered with the 3.6. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
We can thank CAFE standards for most carmakers moving toward small turbo engines.

The four cylinder turbo in my old Saab 9-3 was a great engine, so I don't necessarily have a problem with them. (Too bad the rest of that vehicle didn't hold up as well as the engine.)

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,106 Posts
Not sure what you mean. I thought the current OB was a raised station wagon.
The Outback almost accidentally landed as the flagship model in Subaru's model lineup after the Tribecca failed miserably in the marketplace and was dropped. They had nothing else available, so it was thus tasked to cover too many segment areas that the smaller Impreza lineup couldn't cover. And of course being Legacy-based, the Legacy had to follow the Outback's lead as well. This all happened because new models take years to develop, whereas a market flop can happen much more quickly, and they're stuck doing undesirable design changes to their present lineup.

Those of us who have Gen 3 Outbacks are rather stuck in place and holding to the concept that 2009 Gen 3 was the last of its kind - a wagon - and everything else since then is too much - too big, too tall, too heavy, too SUV, whatever.

With the Ascent introduction, Subaru is freed up to do more radical design changes to the Outback, and there is hope that they will return it to its Gen 1 - Gen 2 - Gen 3 roots this next cycle.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
140 Posts
The Outback almost accidentally landed as the flagship model in Subaru's model lineup after the Tribecca failed miserably in the marketplace and was dropped. They had nothing else available, so it was thus tasked to cover too many segment areas that the smaller Impreza lineup couldn't cover. And of course being Legacy-based, the Legacy had to follow the Outback's lead as well. This all happened because new models take years to develop, whereas a market flop can happen much more quickly, and they're stuck doing undesirable design changes to their present lineup.

Those of us who have Gen 3 Outbacks are rather stuck in place and holding to the concept that 2009 Gen 3 was the last of its kind - a wagon - and everything else since then is too much - too big, too tall, too heavy, too SUV, whatever.

With the Ascent introduction, Subaru is freed up to do more radical design changes to the Outback, and there is hope that they will return it to its Gen 1 - Gen 2 - Gen 3 roots this next cycle.
Market forces in North America have driven the Outback to be more crossover than station wagon. The Legacy wagon never sold nearly as well as the Outback. Also, because of the raised ride height, the Outback has always qualified as a "truck" for fuel economy standards, so Subaru's CAFE requirement was easier to meet, especially with an AWD fleet. Finally, the Levorg sport wagon has been available outside North America for years (it is very much like the Gen 3 Legacy wagon), but Subaru decided not to bring it to NA because they knew it would only sell small quantities into a niche market. That niche market is now dominated by the Germans and Volvo.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Premium - Wilderness Green
5 Posts
I can never think of the Outback as an SUV; doesn't look, feel or drive like an SUV at all. It may be raised like an SUV, but looking at comfort, driving experience, interior layout and space, it's definitely a wagon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This thing is more like a Legacy. It doesn't appear to have the ground clearance of an Outback.

It's also ugly. That has nothing to do with the Legacy. Just an observation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts