Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I went to go start my 01Subaru outback manual (about 25F outside) to let it idle and warm up. I am sitting in my car listening to music when it suddenly dies like it slipped into gear. Started it again, in what neutral was supposed to be and it died. I fiddled around and come to find out it is stuck in 5th gear.

I get it towed back to my shop 100 miles away where it is warmer. They have the same problem, they push it back, it pops and now works just fine. I know there is something wrong with it and I NEED a car that will work in cold weather so I can get to work.

I have browsed the forums but haven't seen this exact situation come up yet. Any advice?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
If the shifter linkages are external (do subies use a toploader?) perhaps a bracket is loose, or some bushings are worn.

Perhaps a bad motor mount is allowing the engine to shift enough some pressure gets put on the linkage?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
How many miles on the release bearing in the clutch? When my release bearing started to go cold mornings it would actually generate enough friction to move the car in neutral. Very common for the release bearing to fail on the 2001 5spd MT thats what I had. Mine was failing at 140K with 10% left on the clutch. I had the local dealer do the full job $1200 and 24hrs later had the car back good as new. Zero problems with it when we sold it at 180,000 miles. I miss that car!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts