Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of Yakima forklift bike mounts on the roof rack, when the sunroof is open, they whistle like crazy.

I have tried covering the front of the mounts where the clamps come together with tape and the whistle was almost gone, but it looks horrible and is not a good long term solution.

I have not been able to find any type of faring that works with the factory cross bars and was wondering if anyone else had this experience, and if the sunroof deflector would make any difference with changing the air flow over the roof enough to eliminate the whistle.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Counting back 5 vehicles with sun roof, I've never had one that didn't make noise anywhere from a bother through obnoxious if it was open. My Outback is no better or worse in those unfortunate times I have a bike on the roof.

The reality is friends only let friends carry bikes via hitch mount unless there's no alternative. Same friends only let friends buy 1 Up USA racks or Saris if you can't afford the modest premium for the world's best rack (1 Up USA).

It is impossible to describe how awesome the 1 Up is until you have it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I agree, those racks are awesome there is a slight problem. Cut the sidewall of a MTB tire to where it won't accept a tube or hold air and you can't secure the bike properly (at least I couldn't on my T2).

And so far I have not found a 2" receiver that I don't have to drill holes in the frame to mount. I don't want to do that on a car I plan on keeping long term.

I am not worried about noise with bikes on the roof, but I have had roof racks on several cars with sunroofs and this is by far the loudest.

·
Registered
351 Posts
While I agree, those racks are awesome there is a slight problem. Cut the sidewall of a MTB tire to where it won't accept a tube or hold air and you can't secure the bike properly (at least I couldn't on my T2).

And so far I have not found a 2" receiver that I don't have to drill holes in the frame to mount. I don't want to do that on a car I plan on keeping long term.

I am not worried about noise with bikes on the roof, but I have had roof racks on several cars with sunroofs and this is by far the loudest.
You're mistaken about a 1 Up racks. I've carried a bike with a flat. It holds the bike as well with or without a tire inflated on the rim.

I see they added videos a month ago that really help you see how they work and the quality.

1upusa - YouTube

Sorry about the noise.

:)

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I have a pair of Yakima forklift bike mounts on the roof rack, when the sunroof is open, they whistle like crazy.

I have tried covering the front of the mounts where the clamps come together with tape and the whistle was almost gone, but it looks horrible and is not a good long term solution.

I have not been able to find any type of faring that works with the factory cross bars and was wondering if anyone else had this experience, and if the sunroof deflector would make any difference with changing the air flow over the roof enough to eliminate the whistle.
Give Yakima a call. They have an aerodynamic fairing that you can put on square or other cross bars that completely eliminates the "whistle". They may have another one for your bike rack application that is not shown on their website yet....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I solved my problem today, I returned the Yakima mounts and went with a receiver and rear mounted rack today.

·
Registered
173 Posts

I have the same issue with the Forklifts. I had them on the roof last summer...when I also like to open the sunroof regularly, but had to remove the racks due to the very loud whistling. I get the fact adding something up top is going to increase noise, but this whistling was ridiculous.

I have heard the Rockymounts Tierods were much quieter. Can anyone confirm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
mm7759
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing