Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L 4 cylinder Automatic 194K Purchased March 6,2013 at Salem, NH auction.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 2001 Subaru Forester with 162K recently to a guy in Newton Mass who owns a Gas Station/garage. I was really pleased to hear he planned to fix it. I have spoken to him the other day and he said the repairs were almost completed. I want to go check it out, if I do I will post some pictures of it here. It had been obviously in an accident. A woman driving a 2011 Toyota Camry going at least 35-40MPH.

She hit me hard enough to push me 20 ft and spun me around 180 degrees so I ended up facing the opposite direction than I was going. Have to say my Forester took the hit well. Still waiting to see who will be found at fault.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the the the amount of responses I got and was easily able to sell it within 5 days on Craig's List.

Started to wonder if I sold it too cheap but it was a lot better than the $200 the sleazy owner of garage/body shop who was so kind to offer me and he'll "junk" it for me. He told me it a "totaled" and no insurance company would pay to cover this type of repair even if it was 6 yrs newer??

Only conclusion I can make is:
1) He doesn't know what he is talking about even though 2nd generation in the family business over 35 yrs or
2) He was trying to legally "steal" the car from me. Anyway no matter I would have rather parked it in my driveway so I could still sit in it and listen to my tunes than to sell it for $200 bucks.

It still drove, not very well but it could still move itself!

2001 Subaru Forester Parts Only - $1100 (Lowell )

Report this image
My 2001 Subaru Forester (AWD) was recently hit on the passenger side rear door by a woman driving a Toyota last Friday Feb 22, 2013 right here on Plain St Lowell MA. As I was attempting to enter the parking lot, apparently she did not see or was unable to stop in time so Whamo!

I don't carry collision because of its age and mileage (162222) so unless the other party's insurance decides in my favor I may be S**t of of luck!

Take advantage of my misfortune, if you have a car like this you and need parts send me an email and we can talk.

The engine and transmission, alternator,starter all working, battery is less than 2 years old, tires are in great condition, the seats are fair and original stock AM/FM CD, Cassette is working, lots of body parts.

I am hoping to sell it as is for $1100 or eventually will start selling off the parts.

Also if anyone thinks they can fix this car you are welcome to come take a look and give me a price to make it drivable.

Here are some pics
Last edited by nova563; Today at 02:47 AM. Reason: Add

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Well, the car is definitely worth more than $200. Not sure insurance would total or not. What do similar model/condition Foresters go for in your area?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
The side impacts are almost always "fixable" (if air bags do not deploy) - it would be worse, if you had frontal or rear impact...Most insurance companies (I have Geico) total cars, if any of the air bags deploy!

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
I can speak for the "Subaru's Holding Value"...

Unfortunately in October of 2012 my wife's 2009 Outback Sport was destroyed by a senior couple that ran a stop sign and T-Boned our OB Sport.. Luckily, she was alone in the car, and neither her or the other couple were hurt, but the OB Sport took a real hard hit to the passenger side door and rear wheel and suspension area.. The dual side airbags deployed and there was some damage just inside the rear seating area..

We have NJ Manufacturers Ins. Co. and after looking at it they totaled the OB Sport.

Originally, we had already been planning on trading our 3 year old, 36K pristine OB Sport for a new 2013 Outback. This is the reason we now have the 2013 SAP.

Here are the particulars.. Our OB Sport was only 36 months old, had 36,600 miles.. We originally paid $21,500.00 cash for the car. NJ Manufactures sent us a check for $18,000.00. Now if that doesn't tell you they hold value I don't know what will.. Even my 2005 Ouback XT is worth more than I originally thought..

One thing to remember, normal rule of thumb of 5-6 years for collision coverage doesn't work with Subaru's.. If you want cash value you need to keep collision on longer because they retain there value longer than other cars..

Steve..

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L 4 cylinder Automatic 194K Purchased March 6,2013 at Salem, NH auction.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Price Range & Pictures of my old 2001 Subaru Forester after Repair

Well, the car is definitely worth more than $200. Not sure insurance would total or not. What do similar model/condition Foresters go for in your area?

Hey Novablue,The prices for used Subaru Foresters vary greatly depending on many things obviously such as year, condition, mileage etc...I have seen them for as low as $1600 for 1995 (yeah that old) up to $6000 for up to 2006 year models.

I have now owned three Subaru vehicles in my life and I have been pleased with them. If I hit Power-Ball I will definitely snap up a brand new 2013 Forester (among few other toys) tomorrow!

I attached some pictures I took of my old Forester earlier today after it was repaired. The guy who fixed it told me he sold it $4900!!

I am very happy to know it is put back together and is running again. I feel I did it right and hopefully the new owner can use it for few more years as it was still running good.

I myself would not have paid that much for it, especially after the accident. I bought it with 105K for $6999 from a small car dealer in Lawrence Mass.

It was a bit plain inside, not a lot of comfort features but you could always count on it. I did a lot with around the house with it for almost five years. To think it only depreciated $2000 after 5 years and after a serious accident is not bad at all.

Welcome any comments

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.