Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this today and was shocked.

I happened to be browsing around online and found this 2010 outback limited 2.5 with 32k for $27,565! :eek:

Used 2010 Subaru Outback For Sale

Is it me or is that crazy? I wouldn't even pay that for a 2011 leftover!

I bought my 2013 2.5 limited a month ago for 29k brand new with 20 miles.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, Crystal Black Silica, Special Appearance Package (moonroof, NAV, keyless entry, saddle leather seats)
17 Posts
Has to be the extended warranty that is bumping up the price, but yeah, that's a bit high still.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Outbacks appreciate in value. WIN. :18:

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I agree - I can't imagine what kind of mindset it would take to even go look at that car. But, Not that far off of blue book prices...not that big of a surprise. If we started posting threads of dealers/sellers that are asking high amounts for a car - the forum would be flooded, it's common in every town.

Can't blame them - the Subaru market escalates enormously in my area this time of year too for two major factors:

1. winter
2. people are fake rich due to tax season

Fair number of people pay high prices because they wreck a car in the snow, got an insurance check, and need to get to work.

I think it's poor planning and horrible financial move, but it is what it is.

In general, one example is pretty well meaningless for "holding value" there are loads of sellers asking inordinate prices for Subaru's.....or houses...or anything else. It's fairly common practice for all sorts of reasons that don't need delineated here, but suffice it to say that one example does not indicate an average or the norm. A certain percent of items listed for sale will always be priced high in any given market.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
Asking price =/= market price.

Both my Outback and my Soul were listed for more than I paid for them new after I traded them in. Dealers like to keep healthy margins on fresh inventory.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Some (Maybe most) Subaru dealers overprice the he!! out of their used Subarus. I guess people shopping for used cars can be vulnerable, if their credit sucks.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
All used cars the past two years have seen big jumps in used value. Which is why dealers are going full bore on the used car sales today. Used car values are WAY WAY up!!

I sold my 1993 Land Cruiser in mint shape 150,000 miles on it this summer for $7000 cash. I paid $8000 for it in 2003. When looking for a larger replacement for the Land Cruiser I found that there are model years where the value starts to take a dive. In my case 06 Sequoia's were pre curtain airbags and are quite a bit less than 07 Sequoias even if they are virtually identical in mileage and condition. I ended up with a 07 however all the dealers near by with massive used car lots and over 150 cars in the back lot ready to roll forward were asking stupid high prices!!! They were even calling private sellers trying to buy the cars thus removing competition and adding to their over priced lot cars. I paid 21,000 single owner all records private owner - same exact truck with 15,000 more miles was sitting on two dealer lots for $28,000 but I was told they were selling at around $25,000 when the dealer finally lowered the price after about two months.

NEVER BUY USED FROM A DEALER!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The description says "covered under the 36k warranty" so I don't think an extended warranty is part of the deal.

I agree with all the above statements, I just can't see why anyone would by 3 years used when the new ones are around the same price.

EDIT - I didn't think about credit scores, that makes a good point. This dealership isn't in the best area so they may be on to something there.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Dealerships always mark their used cars way up. People are more likely to give you $20 after you ask them for $100.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Op if you think this is bad, look up what a couple years old Toyota Tacoma goes for, or Impreza WRX. When I got my '13 WRX the dealer had used ones (base) model with 11K miles on it for $29,990, new was $27,990 for the same car. Dealer said seriously I can't come down on price on that used one but I can make a better deal on the new :confused: Lol.

Most Toyota Tacoma's two-three years old are as much or more than new. Yeah crazy, but awesome if you own one of these.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
I pulled up that link. It says $22,987. They must have made an error when they first posted it.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Bought mine brand new for less than that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Around here, where Subaru's are the number one registered car (as in most numerous) with the city 3 years running I could sell my OB one year after purchase for just about the same as I paid for it.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
In Atlanta today, drove a friend visiting from Minnesota to lunch... They can't even find OB's in stock in MN as she was trying to buy a good used one for her daughter recently. She sort of just cried when I said what a good deal I'd gotten on one "south of the snow belt"...

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
Came across this today and was shocked.

I happened to be browsing around online and found this 2010 outback limited 2.5 with 32k for $27,565! :eek:

Used 2010 Subaru Outback For Sale

Is it me or is that crazy? I wouldn't even pay that for a 2011 leftover!

I bought my 2013 2.5 limited a month ago for 29k brand new with 20 miles.
Whoa! The price on this car in the link is now under $23K so it's come down dramtically. The stealership just put a huge number on it to see if anyone would hit on the "dream car" syndrome.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah - either that or a type-o. Definitely more reasonible now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts