Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have ever looked at SubaXtreme - in particular, their front & rear bumpers.

I contacted them a few weeks ago, and received a response. Since there really isn't a whole lot of info on US availability of these bumpers, I figured I'd share the response I got:

Hi *,

There are currently no importers of our bars to the USA, we are actively looking for distributors in the USA, but it's so difficult to come over and set something up just now.

We used to have a distributor in Minesota, but that guy has not been active for a couple of years now,

We were going to send a shipment up to the USA to coincide with the SEMA show last November, but of coarse that did not happen either

Currently we are shipping direct out of Australia, which unfortunately for you is not great for shipping charges, the bar prices on our website reduce by about 25% due to exchange rates to $USD, but the freight kills most deals as its around $1200USD

By the time you land a bar in the US you will not get much change out of about $3000USD

our bars are more expensive than the bars made in the USA, as we have to comply with Australian Design rules (ADR) which are basically the same as OEM have or the vehicle insurance here is not valid,

Every step in the manufacturing process must be documented, all our welders have to be ticketed for welding aluminium, every bar we make has a unique serial No, we have to crash test the bars every time we make a new design, ($10k),

the testing must be approved by the government before we can even sell the first part

Kevin Poole

FULLBORE 4x4, SUBAXTREME , FULLBORE Performance
TL;DR: You can still order SubaXtreme bumpers, but they ship from AU, and expect to pay at least $3k.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
and they will certainly keep a roo from messing up the front end of your vehicle. Utes over there have these things on them, and after driving around in non-urban areas you quickly see why. A bit overkill for stuff here, but, if you were afraid of something like hitting a deer, this would certainly work well.

That's 100lbs of bumper added to the front of your car.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and they will certainly keep a roo from messing up the front end of your vehicle. Utes over there have these things on them, and after driving around in non-urban areas you quickly see why. A bit overkill for stuff here, but, if you were afraid of something like hitting a deer, this would certainly work well.

That's 100lbs of bumper added to the front of your car.
I didn't really start this to defend the merits of the bumper itself, but there's a lot more to these bumpers than just collision protection. I'd research them more before discounting them so off-handedly.

Also, it adds 40 lbs to the weight of the vehicle, not 100. Still, that is indeed 40 more than stock.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,644 Posts
They should contact Mr. Teague over at www.boxer4racing - possible they might be interested.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
I didn't really start this to defend the merits of the bumper itself, but there's a lot more to these bumpers than just collision protection. I'd research them more before discounting them so off-handedly.

Also, it adds 40 lbs to the weight of the vehicle, not 100. Still, that is indeed 40 more than stock.
nope. 99.2 lbs... unless that's shipped weight. It's not clear from the info on the page with that bar. Maybe replaces stuff on the car? dunno.

White Line Parallel Rectangle

it could be cool to have a hefty bumper up front with a better reinforced recovery point. or capability for a winch too.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
It removes the oem steel bumper.
and adds one of it's own... that's required to maintain the safety specs of these things in australia... along with pedestrian protection (why they conform to the shape of the car, don't have open ends on the outside, etc).

They have a beam that replaces the OEM one, and then this thing bolts onto that. Any capability of using it as a recovery point are both sides of that beam where it bolts to the channel just like the front impact beam (or like the trailer hitch in the back).

My guess is that the specs are wrong on the product page... or if it's shipping weight it's packaged with really thick cardboard. I checked the other models (impreza, forester...) and they all say 45kg there. The nudge bars all say 10kg in their description, all they are is a couple of brackets on each side and that single hoop.

Install video so you can see how it's installed on a Gen5

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,296 Posts
On a unibody car it may look more tough and rugged than the mounts will handle, but the improved approach angle seems helpful or if you're constantly going through brush that would peel all the paint off an OEM bumper skin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts