1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is subfloor storage, anyway? My invoice says:

Cargo area cover, tray, subfloor storage

And I had thought I saw a picture of the floor panel lifted up and held by its tethered hook for getting to a storage bin or tray sitting over the spare tire.

Anyone with a Impreza Outback Sport, or similar, happen to know about it, if it exists?

I'm thinking I might need to call the dealership or drive over there to ask, but sounded like a good question and answer to put here. I searched the forums and didn't find anything more than I already knew. That name for it. Could mean anything from the place where the spare is at, to a fancy tool chest. Most likely divided tray, or so I expected.

I should have given it a look while going over things about the car, if anything just to see what the spare looked like.
;)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
My 98 OB has that tray over the spare. That's the only "subfloor" I can think of, unless there's a hatch I can take down to the car's basement.

Mine has a a towstrap, cables, roof straps, and flares.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The_Lizard said:
My 98 OB has that tray over the spare. That's the only "subfloor" I can think of, unless there's a hatch I can take down to the car's basement.
Mine has a a towstrap, cables, roof straps, and flares.
Interesting. Any of that mentioned on the Invoice? Or did it just happen to have those, I wonder. The little doorways in the cargo floor cover places that look capable of holding those things but all I got was a tool pouch and it was only placed on the tray.

I guess you meant cargo tray that covers the entire floor, and not a smaller tray on the spare. Or not?

Thanks for the reply anyway, even if I am still bewildered about the "subfloor storage" thing. ;)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Under the cargo tray and around the spare tire is your subfloor storage. I have a camp shovel, rope, duct tape, first aid kit, and a multitude of other things in those compartments. They have little loops to pull up flaps so you can see the space for extras. Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bheinz57 said:
Under the cargo tray and around the spare tire is your subfloor storage. I have a camp shovel, rope, duct tape, first aid kit, and a multitude of other things in those compartments. They have little loops to pull up flaps so you can see the space for extras. Brian
I think I understand now, so thanks for clarifying, Brian.

Just got a call from the salesman asking about the trade-in's Title, which I can't locate in my partially organized filing cabinet. Thought it might have actually been in the glove box inside a envelope I had left there with the owners manual, he didn't find it.

So I asked him if he knew if "subfloor storage" meant a tray sitting atop the spare tire but under the floor. He didn't know and was going to call back later after talking to another Subaru person there.

My Impreza Outback Sport does have at least two other cargo floor doors besides the spare tire one, but those spaces are tiny. Maybe 10 square inches. Plus theres that "bucket" one, I think it's called, on the left-hand side wall with the jack in it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
I found pictures showing an organizer tray in a '98 Legacy. This is apparently what I had thought was supposed to be included with my Impreza Outback Sport.

Since there's no specific mention of any "organizer" on my invoice it's obvious there wasn't supposed to be one, only those subfloor spaces around the other places of the cargo floor. Which, BTW, I discovered I had completely overlooked the large one just behind the back seat. Guess I thought that lift-tab was a part of the spare tire access while I was more concerned with not seeing any kind of tray fitted into the spare tire hollow.

Now I'm wondering if I can find one of these organizers for this Impreza. Internet searches tried and failed to find one. I'll be asking the dealership if they exist for the '04 OBS so I can get one. I can always use more storage organizing.
:p

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about the tray that's under the piece of the floor that swings up, and above the spare. There is also an optional larger organizer tray that would fill the cargo floor but I don't have that. And I'm glad I don't, because I tend to haul large items and I like having that clear open floor.

Those items I listed were put in there by me, they didn't come with the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts