Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told my dad recently that I was thinking about getting a brand spanking new 2013 OB. He asked his mechanic about what he thought about Subies and the mechanic said some engines are built by Volkswagon, any truth to that? I called BS on my dad's mechanic, but I've seen weirder pairings before. I once had a '93 Isuzu Trooper. Japanese engine mated to a French tranny. Needless to say the tranny sucked :28:.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe they share a part or 2 like a Bosch ignition coil? If VW were selling their own Boxeranordnung Moter I might believe it.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Sure, VW makes a Boxer... it's called a Porsche.

Subaru is 16.5% owned by Toyota and it a division of Fuji Industries in Japan. The engine and tranny is still made in Japan and many other components are very similar to Toyota's as they seem to share suppliers. They used to be owned by Nissan and still seem to have similar parts with Nissan suppliers too. You have to understand that all manufacturers buy most of their parts from car part companies.

I've never heard of a direct link between VW and Subaru. I would find such words as fight'in words too. ;)

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I've read in a few places that Subaru paid Porsche to do some styling touch-ups on the 3rd and 4th generation legacy (2nd and 3rd gen outback) but I've never seen a press release or anything official.

Apart from that it is fairly coincidental that VW, Porsche & Subaru have all worked with boxer layout, air cooling and rear-engine cars.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Mech has no clue.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Want weird parings? Growing up, my family had a Plymoth Colt Vista wagon. The motor was a Mitsubishi, mated to a dodge part-time 4wd tranie. Man that car sucked! The 5th gear had a factory defect that made it keel slipping form 5th to 4th. If you tried using the part-time 4wd, it would blow the turn signal fuse. It was constantly going though starters. Only it was on the back of the block, between tranie and a coolant hose. On top of all that, it had a front hinged hood which made working on the car a pain in the ***.

I would be very cautious around a mechanic that thinks that Subaru gets their engines from VW. If he doesn't know who makes the engines, I'm not sure he would be reliable to fix them. He would probably get some German parts (at Porche prices) and wonder why they don't fit.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
Mech has no clue.
^^^this, mostly

he could be confused because people sometimes swap soob engines into flat 4 powered VW vehicles. dunno

You can find threads about the history of Subaru on every soob forum, or just read-up at wikipedia.

the present engine layout/style traces back to Borgward and maybe Tatra/Nesseldorf (sp?)

boxer engines are used in the cars listed above, as well as BMW motorcycles and about 80% of private aircraft. Doesn't mean they are all made by VW.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
^^^this, mostly

he could be confused because people sometimes swap soob engines into flat 4 powered VW vehicles. dunno

You can find threads about the history of Subaru on every soob forum, or just read-up at wikipedia.

the present engine layout/style traces back to Borgward and maybe Tatra/Nesseldorf (sp?)

boxer engines are used in the cars listed above, as well as BMW motorcycles and about 80% of private aircraft. Doesn't mean they are all made by VW.
1 Lucky - I am impressed... yes, Tatra started on that design way back in the 1800s A known fact is that Ferdinand Porsche worked there (at Tatra) and than later on applied some of that air coolled engine features in his designs...

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
1 Lucky - I am impressed... yes, Tatra started on that design way back in the 1800s A known fact is that Ferdinand Porsche worked there (at Tatra) and than later on applied some of that air coolled engine features in his designs...
I think Ledwinka (sp?) was the engineer that sorta led the way on flat 4s but, many people were experimenting with many designs in the early years. Horizontal 1 cyl., then 2 and 4 cyl 'boxer' designs were the norm early on. I think they were often mid or rear engine placement. The upright in-lines I think gained popularity when front-engine became the 'norm'.

just parroting what I've read here and elsewhere in the past.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I always thought it followed casting capabilities. Back in the day, foundries couldn't cast big parts easily or cheaply, so engines were made out of smaller pieces put together.

When you are building up from components, you have the opportunity to rearrange them to try different shapes and arrangements. Cars and motorcycles were closer cousins. Air cooling was still quite popular with both.

Later, it became economical to cast an entire crankcase with cylinders and water jackets in one single chunk. That's when much of the world went for inline or twin inline (V) type engines.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Mechanic hasn't a clue. Subaru engines are all Japan designed have been since the beginning. Fuji Heavy industries built engines from day one eventually getting the idea to make a car to put their engine in. Not to mention VW engines are all created and assembled in Germany not Japan.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
I always thought it followed casting capabilities. Back in the day, foundries couldn't cast big parts easily or cheaply, so engines were made out of smaller pieces put together.

When you are building up from components, you have the opportunity to rearrange them to try different shapes and arrangements. Cars and motorcycles were closer cousins. Air cooling was still quite popular with both.

Later, it became economical to cast an entire crankcase with cylinders and water jackets in one single chunk. That's when much of the world went for inline or twin inline (V) type engines.
makes sense

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL Thanks for the mini history lesson, folks, I appreciate everyone's time. Had a feeling that my dad's mechanic was full of BS!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Wiki makes a brief mention of the 360 having same rear engine/aircooled engine layout as the VW Beetle.
Subaru 360 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fuji Heavy also produced aircooled radial engines during WWII.
I also ride an air/oilcooled BMW Boxer.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Wiki makes a brief mention of the 360 having same rear engine/aircooled engine layout as the VW Beetle.
Subaru 360 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fuji Heavy also produced aircooled radial engines during WWII.
I also ride an air/oilcooled BMW Boxer.
The odd bit is that they had the rear mounted air cooled engine, but no boxer engines until later. Their first boxers were front mount waterpumpers.

As far as the radial engines? Pretty sure that predates Fuji. Nakajima operated a factory there and produced engines, whole airplanes and parts in between. After the war whatever was left somehow became Fuji heavy. I'm unclear on that part of the story.

If you look at the plant on google earth, you can still see the old runways where the planes first flew.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,656 Posts
Sure, VW makes a Boxer... it's called a Porsche.
...lol...they invented the boxer engine!! The VW bug started production in 1938...they put the first boxer in them in 1955...and then Ferdinand Porche liked it so much that he put it in his cars..what were they called...oh yah...the Porsche. I drove a 68, 72 and 74 beetle...good times!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
...lol...they invented the boxer engine!! The VW bug started production in 1938...they put the first boxer in them in 1955...and then Ferdinand Porche liked it so much that he put it in his cars..what were they called...oh yah...the Porsche. I drove a 68, 72 and 74 beetle...good times!
The old KdF-wagen was originally designed to take a 5-cyl radial air cooled engine, but they switched to the boxer design before WWII. The schwimmwagens and commandantautos produced during the war were boxers.

When Maj. Hirst took over the bombed out Wolfsburg factory in 1945, the plan was to build new cars with the boxer design. VW was nothing but boxers from then until say 1970 when they took the Audi badge out of deep freeze and started development on the Brasilia.

Ok so I'm a reformed VW guy. You've broken my cover.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts

in the late 1890s Benz had a 2 cylinder boxer.

i found a reference to a racing engine designed for benz by a 'Georg Diehl' that may have been the first flat 4 boxer;

20-hp Benz, 1900:
5440 cc, 20 hp (14.7 kW, 4-cylinder boxer)

Hans Ledwinka (a true pioneer in auto engineering) built cars with both boxer (like the 1926 tatra 30 with a flat 4) and in-line, water and aircooled engines, for several decades before building the air-cooled, rear boxer engine, rear-drive Tatra V570 - 2 years BEFORE the VW 'bug'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts