Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got the the 'Subaru Insider' email newsletter and here are the mileage tips:

Ten Tips for Better Fuel Economy

1. Check your tire pressure — properly inflated tires can improve mileage by 3%
2. Change motor oil and oil filter regularly, to protect your engine
3. Replace a dirty air filter and improve MPG by as much as 10%
4. Check spark plugs — a misfiring plug can cut fuel efficiency by up to 30%
5. Run engine diagnostics — fixing a faulty oxygen sensor alone can improve MPG by up to 40%

6. Drive sensibly; avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops can increase fuel economy by as much as 5%
7. Observe speed limits — fuel economy drops 2% for every mile per hour that you drive over 55
8. Remove excess weight, and improve fuel economy by 2% for every extra 100 pounds you remove
9. Avoid excess idling, since idling longer than 60 seconds uses more gas than stopping and restarting
10. Use cruise control to maintain a steady speed, which can increase fuel economy by up to 10%

Most of these are no-brainers. However, here's my question....

For #4 & #5, would a warning light would pop up on the dash or is this something only the dealer could check in a 2013 Outback?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
#4 and/or #5 should cause a CEL. Dash will light up like a Christmas Tree. Dealer can spot the problem by the code that is stored in the Computer (ECU).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured. It seems unlikely that someone would be experiencing either one of these and not know about it because of the warning light.

·
Registered
717 Posts
No need to go to dealer to get a diagnostic trouble code readout. Code readers are extremely easy to use and very inexpensive. Basic ones are around $50 and plug into a universal socket found near the steering column.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Most of these are simply assumptions, in that it should be assumed that a vehicle is well maintained.

The three that are most important in increasing fuel efficiency, given what I observe in many drivers, and on a daily basis, are No. 6, No. 6 and No. 6.

·
Registered
842 Posts
#7 is not true in all situations.

Every car will have a speed where the engine power and wind resistance balance out to give you the maximum gas mileage. It's a matter of car aerodynamics, engine power and transmission gearing and will vary with every make, model and options. Also, as you drive a modern car, it learns you driving habits and will tweak it's performance to suit the driver. So how you drive will also effect hoe efficent the car is.

The speed what you get that maximum mileage is not always at 55. In my Fusion, my testing has it in the 60-62 MPH range. I tend to get the best mileage in my Outback at about 50.

That being said, Don't speed. One speeding ticket can by a lot of gas and can wipe out months of savings by driving at the car's mileage sweet spot.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i was at one stop light because you sat for over a minute. i dont anymore cuz my radio has such a delay til it starts playing when you turn on the ignition. i know its illegal in some states, don't know about mine, but id assume in treehugging washington its no big deal. half of seattle probably does the same thing. its a real shame subaru hasn't brought start/stop technology to the states yet. i heard a rumor itd be offered on the xv and thats part of the reason i was holding out for one. then i found out that rumor was bullshit so i just got an impreza.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My '12 3.6 Limited gets several mpg better milage (yes, I've measured it at the pump) when I use ETHANOL FREE regular, easy to find with the Pure-Gas.org iPhone app. On a recent 420 mile trip from Boise to Medford, Oregon to retrieve a motorcycle, I got 28.8 MPG pulling an empty light motorcycle trailer, and 26.4 MPG on the trip home with the bike on the trailer. I had Michelin Energy tires and I use Mobil 1 5W-30 oil. I also use Chevron with Techron every 3rd tank or so to keep the injectors clean.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What is this speak of Ethanol Free gasoline? Why is it better than fuel with 10% Ethanol in it?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
What is this speak of Ethanol Free gasoline? Why is it better than fuel with 10% Ethanol in it?
Gasoline has a higher energy density than ethanol.

Therefore a gallon of 90% gas + 10% ethanol cannot contain as much energy as a gallon of 100% gas.

More energy per gallon, used correctly, means more miles per gallon. It will cost more, so it may not work out to more miles per dollar. You'll have to do the math and see if it is worth it for you.

I tried it and saw some MPG benefits, but they were generally outweighed by the distance to the nearest filling station which offered it.

Some states can't legally sell 100% gasoline. pure-gas.org will show you where.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
Rodknock
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing