Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this combination work and still allow me to keep the tire alignment (front and rear) within the factory specs? I've read a lot of posts and saw that lots of people have done the Baja spring lift, or the Baja spring lift with an additional 1/2" spacer kit, but I couldn't find any one that did 1" spacers with the Baja springs. If any one out there has done this specific combination, please let me know of any concerns there may be. I don't plan on going much bigger with the tires, maybe a 225/65R16 instead of the factory 225/60R16. Thanks for your help.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
I have one inch lifts and king springs (heavy duty) and stock camber bolts. You should be good to go!

P.s. site search for the "subhuman" build thread for specifics.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
I machined myself some 1" HDPE spacers and installed the Baja springs.
Getting the alignment set in the front is quite easy, the rear can cause troubles though.
Rear toe and camber may require some aftermarket eccentric bolts to be brought back to spec.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I have a 1996 Legacy wagon that I lifted myself so I should be able to handle this project, but since it is a daily driver I still want to be able to drive the car without creating odd handling characteristics or the habit of eating tires.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I machined myself some 1" HDPE spacers and installed the Baja springs.
Getting the alignment set in the front is quite easy, the rear can cause troubles though.
Rear toe and camber may require some aftermarket eccentric bolts to be brought back to spec.
So what did you do to correct the rear alignment on yours?

·
Registered
2002 OBW 2.5L 5MT
66 Posts
You need some camber bolts. I believe Primitive and Whiteline sells them. You might google around and find other places too. I plan on doing the same set up like yours this spring.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But our 2nd Gen Outbacks don't have rear struts, so what good would camber bolts do in the rear?

·
Registered
2002 OBW 2.5L 5MT
66 Posts
But our 2nd Gen Outbacks don't have rear struts, so what good would camber bolts do in the rear?
You're right....there is no where to bolt the camber bolts in the rear suspension.:(

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
You would use the replacement bushings that jboymechanic posted. I have them on my car and you will be able to get 0.0 or even negative camber with a lift.

·
Registered
2003 outback
3 Posts
I hope someone here can help. I perused the forum looking for a way to get a little additional height (new house with 8 mile dirt driveway). I decided to go with baja springs and new KYB struts.

My mechanic said I needed the struts but did not install the new springs because he said they wouldn't fit. I bought 2003 baja springs. He also told me I wouldn't get any extra lift from the springs. I am now thinking that he just didn't want to spend his time doing something that he thought would not matter.

Do I need a new mechanic, or have any of you also had this problem with the bajas not fitting?

Thanks for any light you could shed on the subject.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
You need a new mechanic.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,623 Posts
You need a new mechanic.
Not so fast. The front springs are side specific and IIRC one is taller than the other. Couple that with a larger spring length and maybe he got confused or someting. Also, 2003 Baja springs provide the same ride height as all non H6 gen 2 Outbacks. Just sayin' :29:

·
Registered
2003 outback
3 Posts
So Patrikman, do you think I should have gotten the 04 baja springs. Now that you mention it, I think I remember someone saying that in 2004 the stock height increased.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
There are million threads on this. You need springs from the Turbo Baja's which were introduced in 2004. It must be a Turbo Baja.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts