Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there seen after a lot of research I've realised that removing my Harman kardon amplifier, and replacing with my own amplifier, subwoofer and components speakers is not an option.

So I've decided to upgrade the existing door and dash speakers, as well as adding an under seat subwoofer. typically I haven't thought much of underseat subwoofers but Cerwin Vega have now released a 12" underseat subwoofer that I'm keen to try out. I've ordered one and it should be here towards the end of the week. Fingers crossed I can make it fit underneath the passenger seat.

I'll post photos and descriptions of the upgrade as I go.

The big question I have is which channel to connect the line level feed into the subwoofer amplifier to from the Harman kardon amp. I found threads of people adding LM1 devices in such which utilise all channels to feed a singular channel out.

Anyone got any information or wiring diagrams?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well obviously no help there then team?

Long and short of it I managed to find a wiring diagram on the Liberty forum. The pin numbers were the same, however the wire colour coding was completely different.

I purchased a Cervin Vega 12" underseat subwoofer. A great bit of kit. I initially installed it under the passenger seat, but very quickly my wife complained that it was like sitting on a bass bin. I tried it myself and she wasn't wrong. Great sound in the driver's seat, but a pain in the ass if you're the passenger!

So long and short of it, I relocated it to the underside of the boot floor panel. Dam it sounds great! Makes the rear vision mirror bounce at higher volume.

I've not disconnected the wire to the factory subwoofer yet, but it does seem to rattle a lot at higher volume. IV turned the bass setting right down and this seems to have done a similar job, although I will be disconnecting it in the future.

Here are some photos, that should the way if installed it. This way it fits under the floor, without touching the spare wheel etc... A neat install. Oh and I will tidy up the wiring in the next couple of days.
20190623_202602.jpg 20190623_202615.jpg 20190623_202620.jpg

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and to the person responsible for designing these connectors under the seats ( I assume for the airbags). Please take yourself out of automotive electronics and into a profession more befitting. Maybe cleaning toilets, or unemployment benefit??

Dam the most overly complex and hopeless useless way of connecting two wires, IV ever come across. Juts baffling that someone ACTUALLY thought that the design was a good idea???? 20190607_144336.jpg

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts
That looks pretty cool!
I'm suprized nobody chimed in on this...
I haven't been on here in a while, so I missed the original post.
I'd have assumed there wasn't enough room under either seat up front for all the other electronics auto manufacturers hide under there.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,419 Posts
Oh and to the person responsible for designing these connectors under the seats ( I assume for the airbags). Please take yourself out of automotive electronics and into a profession more befitting. Maybe cleaning toilets, or unemployment benefit??

Dam the most overly complex and hopeless useless way of connecting two wires, IV ever come across. Juts baffling that someone ACTUALLY thought that the design was a good idea???? View attachment 454641

They are tamper proof connectors. So hacks don't indiscriminately disconnect them, and then try to sue the manufacturer when the airbag system doesn't work properly in an accident.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No a reasonable amount of room really. I looked into this underseat subwoofer and assumed it wouldn't fit, then made up a cardboard box the exact same dimensions. It was a good way of testing and worked a treat when it came to the real thing

I still can't see the reason for those overly complex connectors. Usually they have various amounts of pins and slots to differentiate. If the seat comes out then the other wiring is also disconnected, so that throws your theory out the window really! My guess is that it's an airbag manufacturer issue?

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,419 Posts
No a reasonable amount of room really. I looked into this underseat subwoofer and assumed it wouldn't fit, then made up a cardboard box the exact same dimensions. It was a good way of testing and worked a treat when it came to the real thing

I still can't see the reason for those overly complex connectors. Usually they have various amounts of pins and slots to differentiate. If the seat comes out then the other wiring is also disconnected, so that throws your theory out the window really! My guess is that it's an airbag manufacturer issue?

If the seat comes out? When does the seat come out?

As with anything, knowing how to do it properly helps immensely.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You pretty much an have to remove the seat when you install an underseat subwoofer bro.

Thanks for the video. Yea took me some time to work out how to unclip them. That video helps a heap, chur bro!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
652 Posts
Haven't dealt with subwoofer for cars, just home audio. Those powered subwoofers have connectors for both left and right audio and process the channels internally. Don't know who car subwoofers need to be different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts