Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 5speed manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving down interstate I noticed significant blue/white smoke in rearview mirror. No noticeable change in engine performance. Exited and parked within 1 mile and found oil "raining" from underneath primarily along passengers side. The best I can figure, the seal in the attached picture is the culprit. There is no oil above or in front of it. It is on the passenger side and is not seated flush compared with the driver side seal. Through a search of the part number, the only identification I can find is "circular plug". What is the actual name of the part? Is this the likely source of the leak and if so how difficult is the replacement?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Not sure of the name, but might be a hassle to replace in situs. As you will be trying to tap it in with the firewall and associated wiring in the way, may need to pull the motor.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I believe it's called the cam plug. Dealer or aftermarket. I put felpro in mine cause it came with the kit.....you should be able to do it in the car. I did a few at the dealer when I worked there. When it's out and cleaned (brake clean), you are supposed to use grey rtv around the outer ring of the plug. Any excess should be squeezed out when its tapped in. They go in pretty easy. Harder to take them out. I usually use a screwdriver through the center "step" and pry. That way you don't damage any aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts