Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT1997 Legacy Brighton 2.2L 5MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Alaska,

I have been reading this forum for a few months and learning a lot! My 1997 Legacy Brighton wagon (5MT) is now at 208K miles. After a rash of repairs last year, including a 6 month saga with a rattling steering column, I thought it was on its way out. Not actually true -- the original mechanic who worked on it made an *error*. All the steering column needed was to have the bolts tightened. So now it's running strong again.

But during all that I went out and bought a 2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT with 37K miles. It's great. Handles MUCH better than the Highlander and RAV4 I had on loan while the Legacy was in the shop. I don't love the higher center of gravity of the Outback compared with my old Legacy wagon, but this is what Subaru sells now. I live in Alaska and ONLY want to drive a Subaru in the snow and ice. The Subaru AWD handles that much better. Powers on through.

So now I'm driving two Subarus. The Legacy is the dog car and the Outback is the clean car. I have been surprised to see on this forum how many people have more than one vehicle. I guess it's not such an odd a thing to do.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
:welcome2:

fellow 2 subaru driver.

nice pair you have there. a 1997 with a GREAT EJ221,...

and a 2014 with a manual = no CVT extended warranty drama.

however, ...watch your oil dipstick,...that FB25B has a extended warranty on it for oil consumption to 100,000 miles. so watch it carefully, document your oil changes, and complain if you loose any. (they might give you a new short block or fixed long block).

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT1997 Legacy Brighton 2.2L 5MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcome2:
however, ...watch your oil dipstick,...that FB25B has a extended warranty on it for oil consumption to 100,000 miles. so watch it carefully, document your oil changes, and complain if you loose any. (they might give you a new short block or fixed long block).
Thanks for the tip. I will need to develop a new habit of checking the oil. The Legacy has never needed that kind of attention -- though maybe a good idea to start checking it too, considering the 208K mileage on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts