Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback 2.51
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking on the outback sidelines for over a decade, I finally bought a gen 3 outback! I am wondering what common knowledge (among outback people) maintenance I should be looking at. The car is at 102k miles right now. The only thing I really have on my radar is the timing belt at 105k; is that the correct mileage for that? Is it recommended to go on ahead and do head gasket with timing belt? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Actually, you're overdue for the timing belt, which is at 105K miles or 105 months, whichever is first. You're at 120+ months, so now is a great time to go for it.

Head gaskets are a repair, not maintenance.

If you have no service history, it would be good to replace all fluids. And of course a full inspection - brakes, suspension, air filter, etc. - is merited.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
Reactions: Tommy01

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Buy Aisin timing belt kit (belt and ALL idlers/pulleys/etc) and install. Coolant is to be either Subaru green or blue, a 2007 likely had green buuuuuut it depends on the build date. Acceptable aftermarket options are BeckArney, Zerex Asian, and Pentofrost in my opinion.

Check/change your PCV. Recommend OEM or BeckArney.

Pull a spark plug, if coated in oil plan for valve cover gaskets. If the plug isn't NGK or Denso, make it so.
If the plug wires are not Subaru, NGK, or Denso make it so.

Front and rear diffs are easy to service, your basic GL5 rated 75w90 is fine for the automatic models.

ATF is either Dex III (super easy to find) or ATF-HP (less easy to find), check your owner's manual. 2007 is probably Dex III, but it is right around when the ATF-HP shift occurred.

If suspension is getting soft, you want KYB. If you want a firmer ride, get 2004 Outback part numbers for the REAR.

Reactions: rasterman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts