Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am relocating from San Diego to San Francisco, and will be taking a week to make the drive, and plan on taking the scenic 101. My 2012 OB will be packed with all of my belongings (I am working as a traveling nurse in SF, so my housing, furniture, etc. is already taken care of my the company so all i need to are personal belongings) and will have a Thule box on the roof for all the camping gear and things I need to get at easily. I'd like to hit wilderness areas, day hikes, and car camping over staying at a hotel. (I used to work for the North Face and have a ton of really nice gear that unfortunately has not been used since moving to SD, and the whole point of relocating to the bay area is to live near a city that has culture AND awesome outdoor activities surrounding it.)

So far I am planning on hitting up Big Sur, and may also take a quick day trip to Hearst Castle, but looking for wilderness areas and campsites to stay at along the way. Any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't done it before , consider first heading east, up to Julian, and then north through the mountains up to at least LA, and then over to the coast. HPH
been out that way a bunch, especially Julian on my motorcycle. It's cool, but nothing like riding through the twisties in Colorado.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you drive your new OB on the dunes at Pismo Beach, only legal place I know of where you can drive in the sand and enjoy camping next to the the ocean.
Website says this area is now called Oceano.
Oceano Dunes SVRA
thanks, but I do not think I am going to be too stoked on taking a fully loaded down OB with a loaded cargo box on the roof into soft sand!

1 - 4 of 11 Posts