Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a basket 2000 outback...needs 3 tires...has one nearly SUmitomo 225/60-16 Touring LS T

Never has SUmitomos before...any problems?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Umm the car has 4 total if your replacing three just replace the 4th and know that your AWD system will be happy having 4 tires that are the same size.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would change all of them, but my family loves Sumitomo. My father is a GM Toyota mechanic and he and his tire selling friend love them.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I would change all of them, but my family loves Sumitomo. My father is a GM Toyota mechanic and he and his tire selling friend love them.
So why are you asking?
Seems like your AWD might not like one odd ball tire a tad different from the other three or in your case three odd ball tires purchased because the one good tire was a Sumitomo ie brand knock off . LOL This thread makes zero sense

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Sumitomos I used to sell were crap (60,000 mi warranty but typically only lasted 35-40k regardless of how well they were cared for). I'm sure they probably make a few decent models, but I'd also bet that those would be in the same price range as some better options.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
use tire rack reviews to get a glimpse of tire comparisons/reviews.

I think it's a good resource (decent company too - I bought rims and tires from them - but i also discovered DiscountTire will match prices - uh - with adjustments for shipping and taxes)

you need to use any reviews with an eye towards what part of the country the reviewers live in and their driving style.

·
Registered
97 Posts
have 4 on my focus and it is shocking how quickly they are wearing out. 40K warranty, it looks like I MIGHT get 25K mostly highway miles and don't abuse them at all

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had a set on a 04' F-150 warranty was 60k and lasted me 45k and about 20 minutes of donuts and burnouts just before I got General Grabbers AT2s. Only got rid of them to get a light mud tire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments

and really...I can spell/type...browser wouldn't let me post corrected typing.

The Sumitomo's are $95 each at TireRack...T-rated tire has a UTOG of 640, 85,000 mile trad wear warranty, and comes with a 6 years or 2/32 tread depthreplacement guarantee...

Anyone used that specific tire?

Sumitomo Touring LS T

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
My car came with a set of sumitomo touring tires on it, in decent shape. They are very quiet and give decent handling in dry weather, but I'm not at all impressed with their winter performance. Not much grip on packed snow and nearly nothing on ice. Bad enough that I decided to buy a set of winter tires and put up with seasonal remounting.

I can't recall which exact tire it is, and I'm traveling away from the car for a few days, but I'll try to add that info next week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a set of Sumitomo HTR T4's on my Baja, size 225/60/16 and they are awesome. They are rated at 75,000mi tread warranty. They wear like iron and grip really well for a "T" rated tire. I had no problems in the snow, when they were new, and never hydroplane.

They are now at about 6/32" all the way around and wet grip isnt quite what it used to be but thats expected. I do drive them hard (drifting on wet roads and hard cornering in the dry) so I dont expect them to last 75,000 miles

They only negative is they are wearing a bit choppy so they're a bit loud but then again my Baja has modified intake and exhaust so its loud no matter what =)

The Touring LS-T is the same tire as the HTR T4 but had a harder tread compound and an 85,000 mile treadwear warranty so it wont grip as well on dry roads. Tread pattern is the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
Samirr76
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing