Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Wagon 4cyl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 Outback hatch here....

I am traveling the country this summer! I am a very poor college student who wants to travel and stay in the Suby each night. My brain can't wrap itself around how to make a bed area in the back. As much help with this car would be great.

Can the backseat be completely removed?

Assuming it can't be removed, what are the best links for a bed in the back?

I want this to be comfy and have room for my toys as well. I am more than happy to build whatever is needed to make this work....any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Search the threads on Cot in the back. Couple of owners have found a low slung cot and a way to support the front legs between the front seat and rear seat flip down section. Seems like a great option for you.
Roof box isn't cheap maybe you can borrow one this will free up space in the interior and give you a place to keep stuff that isn't a must have all the time etc.

Have a good trip!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,326 Posts
An air mattress fits acceptable with the seats down. Just deflate when not using.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,136 Posts
um, many people don't realize the back seat will flip up. particularly if you bought the car used. Often the fabric loop for the latche has lipped down or could be missing.

you remove the head rests. (BTW, the may be reversed to use like pillows, well, or torture pillows lol!)

put the belt latches away.

flip the seat up, then lower the backs onto some 'hangers/studs'.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
^^ Exactly, this is yet another reason I like the OB so much. You can flip the seat down w/o flipping the seat bottom for a quick and dirty put something in if you like. But when you flip he seat bottom up, not does this make a level floor (easier to sleep on), you have the lower part of the rear seat as a back stop to keep stuff from sliding up when you stop fast. It also makes it better to pack stuff in there. My son is in a band and it's nice to be able to slide a stack and amp against something solid. I don't know about the newer foresters (or OB's for that matter) but my 04 Forester didn't do this. I think it's a great feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are awesome...had no clue and you were right....the pull straps were very hidden. Flipping the seat solved a couple of logistical options.

I have decided to make a box that will allow for storage while I'm sleeping. I am looking at 9 inches of storage underneath. It will be a 36x41" box with two folds up to the front seats (which will slide up as far as they will go) creating a bed area 80x41".

If there are more suggestions fire them my way! This has been a great help so far!

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
consider re-working the 12v power port (look in where the jack is stored) to be ON all the time.

Of course, make sure you don't run the battery down, but at least you'd have the option of some power back there with the keys out.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
How long is your trip? If you sleep inside the car, you have to deal with taking most of your stuff out and rearranging it every time you want to take a nap...... Be sure to test your setup before you leave on your big trip. It would drive me NUTS - there are much better options.

A 9 inch storage system under the mattress will help a lot, but you still have to deal with large bulky stuff like a cooler and a mattress. Where does your stuff go at night? On the ground, out in the weather?

I personally would get a cheap, quick to setup three man tent (or a used roof top tent) and forget about sleeping every night in the car.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
if you're alone, it may make sense to remove the passenger seat for more space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long is your trip? If you sleep inside the car, you have to deal with taking most of your stuff out and rearranging it every time you want to take a nap...... Be sure to test your setup before you leave on your big trip. It would drive me NUTS - there are much better options.

A 9 inch storage system under the mattress will help a lot, but you still have to deal with large bulky stuff like a cooler and a mattress. Where does your stuff go at night? On the ground, out in the weather?

I personally would get a cheap, quick to setup three man tent (or a used roof top tent) and forget about sleeping every night in the car.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I am refereeing soccer tournaments around the country. I will have hotels on the weekend and will need the bed for weeknights (monday-thursday).

I have thought about the tent idea but it still requires install every time I want to sleep...after a full day of adventure, I would rather not have to put a tent together and just get in the car. My amount of stuff I am taking is not large (4-piece flyrod, referee gear (should fit under mattress), week of clothes, waders, and flygear. I think the 9 inches should take care of it. I have also thought about a roof rack rod holder.

Love the thinking and am now thinking about rooftop storage.

Keep the thoughts coming!

~Connor

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
02 Outback hatch here....

I am traveling the country this summer! I am a very poor college student who wants to travel and stay in the Suby each night. My brain can't wrap itself around how to make a bed area in the back. As much help with this car would be great.

Can the backseat be completely removed?

Assuming it can't be removed, what are the best links for a bed in the back?

I want this to be comfy and have room for my toys as well. I am more than happy to build whatever is needed to make this work....any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
You won't need to build anything. Take a look at my thread on how I set up my 2013 Outback. Lots of tips and ideas in there to help with in-car camping. If you aren't a Facebook member, there's a couple photos near the end of the thread.

An aprx. 9" platform means very little headroom. It's not really about sitting up, but how easy it is to get in and out of the car. Practice it out before you decide to go through the trouble of building something.

Go here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...eeping-camping-car-setup-tips.html#post505809

1 - 14 of 14 Posts