Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Moved to correct forum.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
You had this posted in General Discussion, I moved it to Prob and Maint.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
On my '03 the front sunroof doesn't pop open, but I can push the 'open' button, it un-cinches, and I can push it open and hold it open with something.

I just remove whatever I prop it open with and hit the close button, and it locks down tight.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere- the entire sunroof assembly has to come out, I think, front and rear together.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
I had the same issue on my 04 OBW LTD. I pulled the headliner and the entire sunroof assembly from the car. Parts for the front lift scissor assembly were stripped from the 2 geared whips that run down each side of the sunroof assembly, and run both front and rear sunroofs. This was back in 2006, the parts were $150 (?) or so back then.

I replaced the front sunroof lift assembly on the bench, put the entire assembly in its closed position (both roofs), and reinstalled it back into the car.

Be aware that the front sunroof glass comes entirely off the car first, and goes back on last, after the rest of the sunroof system is fixed and installed. Get a factory service manual, and it becomes a time consumming job, but not a difficult one. I'm a DIYer who's maybe more experienced than most, but a long way from being a mechanic.

Look on this forum and on the USMB forum (Ultimate Subaru Message Board) under my name and you'll find several posts where I've given a step by step on the disassembly procedure. Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts