Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone! I just bought a 2008 Subaru Outback and tried removing a sticker adhered to the sunglass compartment door. I tried using rubbing alcoholic and a credit card to remove the residue and completely discolored the plastic and left surface scratches. Any advice on 1) How to safely remove the residue and 2) fix the color/ remove scratches? Thank you so much.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,215 Posts
That cubby door is plastic, so whatever you use, test it first on the backside just in case the solvent reacts with the material - many of them do.

It can be restored with an interior plastic cleaner / treatment - maybe. If it's faded from sunlight, you'll see a shadow.

In which case you search online reclaim yards for a replacement - it can't be that expensive.

I tried using rubbing alcoholic .....
I'd recommend using someone sober to do this kind of work, just sayin' ..... :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,296 Posts
I think after you smooth the surface (consider sandpaper) you should apply an adhesive vinyl wrap on it for a uniform finish. There are some that are textured and could look good.

Reactions: Dyngwal

·
Premium Member
2016 3.6R in Lapis Blue, Ready Lift, roof basket / roof mount tire, 2" hitch, Perrin spacers, etc...
309 Posts
When I had my '08 up until last year, I'd occasionally look on ebay for replacement center sections - the cubby/clock/vents (I had modified mine for a powered cell phone mount).

The whole piece pops right out, and if I recall they are (were) rather plentful and pretty cheap.

I'd say have a look at a used replacement....here's an example I found in 30 seconds:

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used a couple of them when I mounted a android head unit in that spot from a local junkyard, as I recall they were $7-8

1 - 6 of 6 Posts