Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 12 ob limited that I bought new 5 months ago. Today my wife calls to tell me that the sunroof will go up and down but not back and forth. Not sure what the problem is but it's going invtbe shop on Thursday. Anyone else have an issue?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Mine the up down switch stopped working and the open close is not one touch and does the tip up too. I need to get back to the dealer. Subaru was sorting out a fix. The switch apperently has some logic to it and ut gets fouled up.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
213 Posts
So glad I ordered mine without sunroof. I had an older car that always leaked from Sunroof, total pain. Had previous Sunroof in previous Subaru's with no issues ...but just didn't want to take any chances. One less thing that could go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
I dislike sunroofs, so I didn't order one either. Regarding yours, I'd suggest keeping it closed until you can get it to the dealer - you sure don't want it to completely die while open.

·
Registered
2012 Cypress Green 2.5i Premium CVT w/AWP & Moonroof
36 Posts
My sunroof broke on my 2012 model within the first couple months. It would get stuck in the track when sliding open and I almost could not get it closed one time. Dealer said track was bent (probably from the factory) and they had to replace the whole unit. It took them an entire day to install it. No problems since then but I am paranoid every time I open it. Good luck.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I noticed in our sunroof the other day when raising it up and down it was chattering and not moving smoothly. I tried it again last night and it was fine. Not sure what is going on.
The body flexes a bit- so the sunroof might move perfectly when you're on level ground, and it might bind a bit when you're not. If the car is in motion, vibrations will usually let it slide more easily than when the car is at rest.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
So glad I ordered mine without sunroof. I had an older car
that always leaked from Sunroof, total pain.
Whatever floats your boat. We won't even consider a car without
a moonroof (or a ragtop ;-). Have owned nothing else in the past
25 years, 750k miles. Zero leaks, one warranty repair -- $0.00.

Switched to Soobie because Mazda6 was no longer available with
manual tranny & moonroof. Next time, will switch to something
else -- unless Soobie decides to offer MT with MR once again.

...different strokes,

Looby

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought a 2012 Premium 6MT with sunroof so there is hope for Subaru.

Whatever floats your boat. We won't even consider a car without
a moonroof (or a ragtop ;-). Have owned nothing else in the past
25 years, 750k miles. Zero leaks, one warranty repair -- $0.00.

Switched to Soobie because Mazda6 was no longer available with
manual tranny & moonroof. Next time, will switch to something
else -- unless Soobie decides to offer MT with MR once again.

...different strokes,

Looby

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Dealer called me today to tell me that the sunroof was just out of alignment and its fixed. While this doesn't excite me, I am happy knowing it just needed to be adjusted.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Bought a 2012 Premium 6MT with sunroof so there is hope for Subaru.
Not available for 2013 -- at least not in the USofA.

Looby

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
Sunroof is one of the main reasons I purchased an extended warranty. They can be well over $1000 to replace. A buddy had an 06 legacy wagon with the panoramic moonroof that needed to be replaced to the tune of $1400.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
We love our sunroof. Hopefully we dont have any issues. I hear of so many people that dont use them, but have them anyways. We use ours quite a bit and we dont even live in a beautiful climate area here in hoosierland

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just so everyone knows. The sun roof switches have logic in them they learn the positions of the sun roof ie program. In some cases the switch might loose its logic when this happens the tilt button becomes inactive and the open close button will operate the sun roof and tip up and tip down. There is a learning mode where you open the sun roof hold the switch for a second then close it multiple presses required on the switch - then you continue pressing to it tips up then one more press where it will tip up slightly more then you close it. What is happening is the switch is re learning the stop points or positions. Mine did this recently and the Subaru tech did this learning thing in about 1 minute and now its fine.

He said that in some cases dead battery or software upgrade to the cars that the switch will loose its logic and need to relearn the positioning of the sunroof.

So if you have a case where the tilt up and down becomes inactive and the single press open and close stops working - don't assume the sunroof is broken or stuck - the switch for whatever reason has lost its logic on the stop points and positioning of the sun roof and needs to relearn them.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
The body flexes a bit- so the sunroof might move perfectly when you're on level ground, and it might bind a bit when you're not. If the car is in motion, vibrations will usually let it slide more easily than when the car is at rest.
The car was in motion both times.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Sunroof is one of the main reasons I purchased an extended warranty. They can be well over $1000 to replace. A buddy had an 06 legacy wagon with the panoramic moonroof that needed to be replaced to the tune of $1400.
Huh... In the past 25 years, between my parents and my wife and I, we've had 11 cars from 4 different manufacturers. All had factory sunroofs and we've never had to replace one.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Huh... In the past 25 years, between my parents and my wife and I, we've had 11 cars from 4 different manufacturers. All had factory sunroofs and we've never had to replace one.
Iainb - the panaramma split roofs have seen expensive repairs they are far more complex than the basic sliding sun roof. Also most people never know if their sun roof was subjected to someone trying to force it open and that is why its broken etc.

People can have any fear they want when it comes to cars if their fear is so great that every little issue is a game ender they should simply dump their car and get a bicycle and start taking the bus.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Iainb - the panaramma split roofs have seen expensive repairs they are far more complex than the basic sliding sun roof. Also most people never know if their sun roof was subjected to someone trying to force it open and that is why its broken etc.
How is any of this relevant? No one in this thread has a split panoramic sunroof.

People can have any fear they want when it comes to cars if their fear is so great that every little issue is a game ender they should simply dump their car and get a bicycle and start taking the bus.
At what point did I attack or criticize the poster I quoted for their opinion? If someone can say that they had a friend who had a bad sunroof in a car I can certainly reply that I've had 11 cars that have not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I hear of so many people that dont use them ...
We don't often open it, but we use it every day -- for the light.

Open or closed, we won't buy a cage without a glass roof.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
How is any of this relevant? No one in this thread has a split panoramic sunroof.

At what point did I attack or criticize the poster I quoted for their opinion? If someone can say that they had a friend who had a bad sunroof in a car I can certainly reply that I've had 11 cars that have not. :rolleyes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prulex View Post

^ -- thats why I wrote what I wrote

And yes the standard old slider vs more complex is not even a issue with the new cars

1 - 20 of 25 Posts