Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI, as I doubt this is a wide-spread issue, but my sunroof has to be replaced. It was not working correctly from early on (getting stuck in the track) and even after they adjusted it, it was making a loud clunk when it would first drop down into the track to open. This week, it stopped opening all together. Dealer tells me the left side of the track is bent and they are ordering an entire new sunroof module. I'm glad they are not trying to fix it again, but I'm a little concerned with getting a new one installed and sealed correctly. I don't know how much experience the dealers have with this kind of thing. Hopefully it is not a big deal and I will have no further issues. Should have new one installed late next week. This is a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Its a complete unit they simply drop into place and plug in. Shouldn't be much of a concern of course dealer skill and quality regarding the details matter. They drop the head liner to do this - so when you get it back make sure you inspect all the interior bits head liner - and pillar covers and make sure they are all fit correctly no broken tabs or loose bits don't hesitate to call the dealer on it and have them fix these things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a complete unit they simply drop into place and plug in. Shouldn't be much of a concern of course dealer skill and quality regarding the details matter. They drop the head liner to do this - so when you get it back make sure you inspect all the interior bits head liner - and pillar covers and make sure they are all fit correctly no broken tabs or loose bits don't hesitate to call the dealer on it and have them fix these things.
Thank you for this input. I would not have thought to double-check the headliner and make sure everything looks good. :)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Probably the most common thing is for a clip to be broken and then reinstalled. Tapping on the pillar covers to see if you get a rattle ie the cover is lifted slightly and not held tight so when you tap on it you get a click as the cover moves and hits the frame would be the classic broken clip or bent clip which will eventually rattle so tapping on the pillar covers making sure they are fit snug is a good idea. Making sure the light fixtures and handles are all fit back nice without stripped screws etc

·
Banned
238 Posts
Just an FYI, as I doubt this is a wide-spread issue, but my sunroof has to be replaced. It was not working correctly from early on (getting stuck in the track) and even after they adjusted it, it was making a loud clunk when it would first drop down into the track to open. This week, it stopped opening all together.
. . .
Sorry to hear about your problem. It was my most dreaded expectation of faulty or leaky sunroof, that I ordered my 2013 Limited OB without one.
It appears that I was right in the end. It's a delicate unnecessary feature which is prone to breaking or leaking even in a new car.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. It was my most dreaded expectation of faulty or leaky sunroof, that I ordered my 2013 Limited OB without one.
It appears that I was right in the end. It's a delicate unnecessary feature which is prone to breaking or leaking even in a new car.
I couldn't disagree more. One case of a defective (bent) track installed at the factory has no bearing on weather a properly installed unit is delicate or prone to breaking. Even the defective one didn't leak. Seems like anecdotal evidence to support you opinion of an "unnecessary" feature.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:29:
I couldn't disagree more. One case of a defective (bent) track installed at the factory has no bearing on weather a properly installed unit is delicate or prone to breaking. Even the defective one didn't leak. Seems like anecdotal evidence to support you opinion of an "unnecessary" feature.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have had similar issues with my 2011. It came off track and they had to repair it. It squealed and havd to be lubricated. The alignment was shown as off so much that they couldn't adjust it and had to replace it. No leaks with the replacement, but I've had it get stuck on occasion, but can usually help it along and it not an issue the next day.

·
Banned
238 Posts
It's not that anecdotal to me, 'cause my dad's Honda CRV and my mom's Honda Accord had a host of problems with their moon roofs, from jamming to leaking and from burned motors to cracked glass.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's not that anecdotal to me, 'cause my dad's Honda CRV and my mom's Honda Accord had a host of problems with their moon roofs, from jamming to leaking and from burned motors to cracked glass.
There's a part of me that says "just ignore that comment" but the part that says "it's Friday afternoon before a long weekend, I'll bite" won out.

So, how is that not anecdotal? You've got two examples out of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions depending on your domain. That experience strikes me as the archetype of anecdotes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's still anecdotal. It's a small sample size from a casual observer. The problem is all sorts of bias can creep into such a sample size, including a string of bad luck, or over simplifying/generalizing the data (assuming all brands/models have the same rate of failure for example).

I've seen folks who have complained about a particular brand of electronics always failing on them in warranty. I've yet to have one fail on me at all from that same brand. Who's right? Really, neither them nor me. Especially when real reports maybe report a 1-1.5% failure rate for that brand over the warranty period. While improbable, it is entirely possible for someone to have a string of bad luck with something. And it's possible for something with a high failure rate (~10% or higher) to still have loyal followers who had a string of good luck with the product.

But anything any single one of us experiences is really nothing more than an anecdote. Not that they aren't useful, as I will keep an eye on the drainage system on my moonroof based on others' experiences. And anecdotes can certainly suggest possible trends or areas to investigate further. However, the type of reports we get on a forum are not what I'd consider rigorous enough to be able to conclusively determine one way or another any generalizations drawn from those reports.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The sunroof may be an "unnecessary" feature to you, but not to me. I've had it in every car I've owned, never had a problem, and without it, the vehicle would seem too dark and "claustrophobic" to me. Its great to be able to tilt the sunroof up and let passive air invirtually any type of weather.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:29:
The sunroof may be an "unnecessary" feature to you, but not to me. I've had it in every car I've owned, never had a problem, and without it, the vehicle would seem too dark and "claustrophobic" to me. Its great to be able to tilt the sunroof up and let passive air invirtually any type of weather.

·
Registered
133 Posts
29 years of sunroofs here (plus 22 for my wife), only problem I've ever had was when I did NOT open it for awhile, during sap season, it got stuck closed. Had to wash it with warm water to get it to open.

Never a leak, never got stuck, never a crack. Don't know anyone who has had a problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had two vehicles with sunroofs and never had a problem. One of those was an '89 with a factory installed sunroof and it still didn't leak when I scrapped the car in '03 and with 280,000 miles.

With that being said, I probably won't buy another car with a sunroof again unless it comes standard or comes on a used car. It isn't worth the extra initial expense for something I very rarely use. However, I can understand why some people love them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. Likewise!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
... without it, the vehicle would seem too dark and "claustrophobic" ....
++

Won't even consider a car without a glass roof...

...Miata excepted,

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My first car with a sun roof 83 - yes proper one that slid back into the roof line not one of those 80's pop top glass windows. Never had an issue with it even when it was 12yrs old.

Only sunroof I ever had issues with was my 91 4runner. Someone thought they could break into the car via the sun roof which proves how stupid they were given the 90's Toyota's could have the door opened by a rookie with a coat hangar in about 30 seconds. LOL they pushed down on the sun roof and broke the ABS plastic hinge that allowed it to drop down and slide back. Even then I could open and close it - I just had to finish the last step when closing by hand to get the glass to step up and seal.

The whole I'm afraid of sun roofs thing was an 80's thing when many makers were doing some pretty odd and poorly designed stuff. My 80's sun roof was French and the car was possibly the heaviest thing with 4 doors that looked like a sports sedan sold in the US. LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
Debbadoo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing