Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laser removal tool. Would certainly make stripping paint off a car a lot faster!

But at almost $200K for one, I think I'll stick with the old methods for now...... :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
looks like a cool thing,

probably only worth buying if you like to paint big expensive things like ships.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,263 Posts
I bought (2) dewalt 4 1/2" grinders about...18 years ago. I still have one. Plus a bunch of nueropathy.

$2K might be a bargain. Maybe Not.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
I bought (2) dewalt 4 1/2" grinders about...18 years ago. I still have one. Plus a bunch of nueropathy.

$200,000 ....was what was typed in the initial post.....but nothing is too good for keeping rust off Francine.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i 6sp Manual in Carbide Grey Metallic
64 Posts
At $200k, there has to be a market in cities with over 500K people to make your money back on the purchase.

You only need 1000 people at $200/head to cover the purchase price.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
WOW! I want the job! I'd LOVE to spend all day laser stripping stuff!
My luck I'd die from asphyxiation, LOL!

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts

Know all about the neuropathy. I can't play my guitar anymore because of it...
I'm taking Gabapentin, but it's not helping.
If I did this for a living it might be worth it, but not at $200k, ouch!!!

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Looking at that it looks like it produces crazy amounts of heat. This would be absolutely worthless on a car. Heat=warped Doug
I'd say the heat is so fast the metal doesn't have time to heat up once the rust and paint are striped.
It does look awesome though!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Hope they were in a fume hood. High energy + metal = things that nobody should breathe.

The price will come down, and splitting use across time is the obvious method for dealing with the cost today.

Pictures of the thing in-use are cool... but what I want to see is what the work looked like after that treatment, after a coat of paint, and then after a few years of use/exposure.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Looking at that it looks like it produces crazy amounts of heat. This would be absolutely worthless on a car. Heat=warped Doug
I've been watching some fascinating videos on YouTube and came across this:

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Most likely not as much as you think. I believe that the laser is a super high frequency type, where the heat is so concentrated that it vaporises the paint, ferrous oxide, etc, but with the movement, has little time to heat the substrate. Yes, if you kept it in one place for a while, it would/could melt steel sheet, but avoiding that issue should be easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts