Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Indigo Pearl Outback, with factory-installed Flux Capacitor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my OB for months now, short drives, commutes, and hundreds across mountains; I like my OB. When I climb into a different car, it feels cramped and 'busy' by contrast. When I drive a non-CVT car, it feels noisy, especially if I need any kind of power out of it. I'm amazed at the acceleration a big & heavy OB gets with what seems a dinky 4cylinder engine. Race it? Never, but fear traffic merging as I once did with older cars? Never. Are we still odd to consider CVT a reliable tranny? Allison and Dana to develop CVT | Diesel news Allison and Dana are going CVT for Diesels, which will make the most of the deep torque a diesel has.

What would I like in my next OB? I'm a firm believer in clean diesel over heavy metals-leeching electic vehicles. Study power losses to transmission of electric power, and maybe we'll see the EV myth for what it is.

Another thing I'd like is some kind of free-spinning front or rear wheel arrangement so that we can cheat the gas mileage up in good weather, as we former 4wd owners can do. Maybe not a manual front hub :cool:, but some kind of locker diff to engage the rear wheels as needed.

Meanwhile, I've nearly doubled my gas mileage over the old truck and am reasonably confident that we'll do ok with slick road conditions.:29:

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I love our OB as well and would absolutely buy a new diesel OB if offered. My Ford Super Duty Diesel got around 18.5 mpg and the OB gets around 23-25 mpg so not anywhere close to double but well worth it given how much I enjoy driving it and the ability in snow and sand (which I testes ultra deep soft sand yesterday).

I almost bought a Subaru Brat back in the day and it was just too small. The OB is perfect

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
I've seen where car mfrs are talking about putting more speeds in their automatics -- maybe 8 or 9 -- to increase mileage. Well, a CVT is basically an automatic with an "infinite" number of gears, so it's not surprising it gets great mileage.

I also saw that the new Nissan Altima has the best mileage in the hotly-contested mid-size (non-hybrid) car market. It has a CVT!

·
Premium Member
2012 Indigo Pearl Outback, with factory-installed Flux Capacitor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Dana-Allison-and the 3rd CVT company's alliance will give CVT the advance robustness needed in belt and pully design. Once you get used to measuring acceleration by speedometer and not by tachometer, it's really tough to go back to pogo stick up-and-down noises. Even honda has a double-clutch tranny in one bike. That's still a silly number of gears, but the shifting action isn't as noisy.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
I'm right there with you- 8 months and 17,000 miles later, and I still love the thing like day one (can't say the same about my previous 2011 Golf TDI as it was already in the shop about 7 times by now!). I get 29-31mpg, every tank, like clockwork (mostly highway) and the cvt is silky smooth (I've never owned an automatic and have always abhorred the idea of a CVT until I finally drove a Subaru CVT) . It's unbelievably comfortable (only wish passenger seat was height adjustable), and ridiculously versatile doing everything from road-trip duty with 5 people to getting me through creeks/mud at our local yearly rally races. It's not the prettiest, not the best interior, not the best "driver's" car, but it's my swiss-army car for a swiss-army lifestyle that leaves me stuck with a host of "needs" from a car. Only regrets: should have simply saved my $$ and got the SAP on a 2013 with all the goodies me and the wife wanted, but that's about it!

I absolutely love the drivability/fuel economy mix of TDI's. 236ftlbs of torque and I still edged about about 45-47mpg, hand calculated, from every tank of diesel in the Golf. The only issue still IMO is creating a reliable system capable of withstanding ever increasing emissions standards. For instance, my HPFP bit the dust for no reason at 28,000 miles leaving VW with a bill of nearly $9,000. Add to that DPF's clogging up, numerous catalyst devices, etc. and it just adds a level of complexity to make diesels "clean" that I simply wouldn't want to live with for 100,000+ miles like I could with my old PD TDI. I have "more" faith in Subaru's system, however they've still had similar issues with Forester and Outback TDI models from my reading on the German and UK Subaru forums.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
I think going to an awd system that would be 2wd in good weather goes against the full-time awd mantra subaru likes to live by. Sure, there may be a little extra savings to be had, but the vehicle is still weighted down by the awd components. Most people on these forums look down on the on-demand systems anyway.

I have been rather impressed with the CVT in my Outback though. Our hybrid Camry has one and it does feel like a rubber band; just some weird elasticity to power delivery. The Outback feels like it kicks down like a conventional automatic when you need to go, then holds you where the power is best. It's quite excellent as far as CVT's go.
Would I want my hemi to have a CVT? No. I'd kill to have the ZF 8 speed Chrysler is putting in their rwd vehicles though. When the SRT 300/Charger get that transmission, I very well have to upgrade.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
My wife and I went up to the woods on Saturday to go shoot her new 22lr pistol I bought her. For half the price of range fees in gas I got to take our Outback up into the woods where our Legacy wouldn't have had the clearance. She brought a lunch for us and we had a great day. It was the first "real" outting since I've gotten the OB in July and we both don't miss the Legacy at this point.

·
Registered
42 Posts
...Another thing I'd like is some kind of free-spinning front or rear wheel arrangement so that we can cheat the gas mileage up in good weather, as we former 4wd owners can do. Maybe not a manual front hub :cool:, but some kind of locker diff to engage the rear wheels as needed...
I don't think that will net much difference. My Tacoma with ADD was virtually the same as other rigs with manual hubs. ZERO difference, in my experience. Only advantage with manual hubs was if you broke a front axle, you can still drive out in 2WD.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing finishing a trip across our metro area that was streets, construction, freeway, rain and high winds. Very quiet and comfy compared to my 4Runner. I hope it's as reliable. I'm not doubling my mileage as said in the original post but it's usually 5 - 10 MPG better.

The link on CVT is interesting because the NuVinci technology caught my attention when I was shopping for new commuter bike. I wondered if the ball axles could have automotive use.

"Sure like my OB" will really ring true if it has reliability same as or much like my 4Runner. That may take years to learn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts