Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General post, had my safety inspection today and learned it does not pass because the front LCA rear bushing has play and the rear sway bar bushings have some play. It is what it is.

I was wondering what sort of age/mileage these parts typically get for other folks. Mine are at 7 years/75k miles, Canadian winter (salt).

This seems early IMO. In the past 2 years the city has been putting in #@$# speed humps to "calm" traffic. Any gurus think this contributes to faster wear?

As for the repair: the RSB is fairly straightforward. The LCA, how much of a pain it it to pop out (both apparently) to get the bushings pressed out? I've read the bolt can be a pita. Curious if the 3 hours labor quoted is accurate/worth it!

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,236 Posts
140K on my car and I need front. I swapped rear bar with 20mm one and it came with new bushings but the old ones were still good.

Front sway bar bushings were beat and I replaced them at 146K

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't so bad to remove. Subaru pressed the bushings for next to nothing.
The car is much quieter now. Thinking back, there was this weird noise in the winter that made no sense. It was probably that bushing starting to complain.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,236 Posts
should probably note that bushing life is directly related to the condition of the roads in your area. nice smooth well maintained roads = bushings last. choppy poorly maintained roads and they get beat down fairly quickly... I like the older Subaru control arms were the bushings twisted on the horizontal plane and lasted for pretty much ever. Ever since they switched to these pillow ones for ride comfort, longevity has suffered.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
Our OB has 222,000 km on it an I’ve had bushings replaced once. When they start to go you will notice louder rattles going over bumps. Going in to the shop in Aug and wiil robably get them replaced again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts