Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So trying to diagnose a suspension clunk I still appear to have. I've replaced the tie rods, did ball joints and I've done the sway bar links on the font too. On rear I replaced the upper control arms.

I still get a clunk when going over bumps and it sounds just like the noise I got when my ball joints were worn! My CV boots are ok and turning at low speed both directs does not produce any clicking sounds but when the are is jacked in the air and I rotate the wheels 20degrees in each way the axels do make a clunking click sounds, there is definite play in them. So I wonder if its possible the CV joints / axles although not clicking at all can lead to this clunking sounds.

Very annoying after I've spend so much time working on here. She is very stable at high speed though, no shudder in the steering at all, as smooth as butter, so the replacement of the suspension parts has paid off somewhat. Front struts seem fine.

So in summary, new Axels, perhaps a worn steering rack? Perhaps I didn't tighten down the ball joints enough?

120K OB, manual 5 speed, 2002.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
If not done yet, do those CV joints. Sounds like you found your culprit. Also I've heard to find I'm as rebuilt or after market aren't up to snuff. Can't prove it myself, but have heard.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This noise seems to be in the front of the car. I'm hesitant to put more money into the car though so axels not in the budget - the Raxels ones that is.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
yeah, the part i was talking about was in the front, its just the "rear part" of the control arm where is anchors down. pn 20201AC100 for the right.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,712 Posts
i have clunks now in steering rack which i cant do nothing with that myself just restore rack or buy new one. then some things can be be almost invisible as strut top mount bearings.find out those just after removing strut itself other parts that visible under car are more easy to find. its not so many parts there that can give those sounds. mainly arm bushings that wearing off making those sounds too. cv axles for me goes out last and they make special different sound from bushings . when you hear them one time you can recognize them later
when you check all that youll see that its not so much things after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts