Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I want to start off saying I am probably the least car savvy person you will ever meet...
But, I have a 2005 OBW and I have been toying with the idea of lowering it. I just like the look of the lowered outbacks, not slammed but lowered to the point where the wheels are centered in the wells or so.

I have the 4 cylinder so Im not crazed about the handling, she isnt much of a powerhouse or fast car to begin with. I just really like the looks of the lowered wagon. HOWEVER I am open to any thoughts.

Ive been doing some searching and asking around, and it seems, keep in mind im not very car savvy so the easiest is the best to me, it seems that the BC coilovers is the cheapest and easiest way to go about lowering the car. -please tell me your thoughts.

My last question is that if i were to get the coilovers (or some other suggestion) what is the best way to go about installing them? should i go to a garage somewhere? or do the service at subaru dealers do this kind of stuff?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Buy a Legacy wagon you can sell your OB and get a year or two newer Legacy for the same price. You get a better handling nicer driving wagon that is lower than the OB version of the Legacy Wagon. Yes they are the same cars with the taller suspension being the big difference.

The Legacy also comes with a tighter more responsive steering rack I recall one less turn stop to stop vs the OB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a Legacy wagon you can sell your OB and get a year or two newer Legacy for the same price. You get a better handling nicer driving wagon that is lower than the OB version of the Legacy Wagon. Yes they are the same cars with the taller suspension being the big difference.

The Legacy also comes with a tighter more responsive steering rack I recall one less turn stop to stop vs the OB.

Id love to do that, but the car was a gift so id feel bad ( i know, dumb) But im also lazy and that would mean id have to install all of my stereo system in again, etc.
But also, correct me if im wrong but the legacy doesnt have racks which id need for carrying my sailboats around and of course my ski rack for ski season.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Id love to do that, but the car was a gift so id feel bad ( i know, dumb) But im also lazy and that would mean id have to install all of my stereo system in again, etc.
But also, correct me if im wrong but the legacy doesnt have racks which id need for carrying my sailboats around and of course my ski rack for ski season.
Car top my RS FEVA and a few Lasers on Yakima cross bars all the time. The stock rails are simply just in the way.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Not all legacies had racks from the factory, but it's not a big deal to add one.

Dunno how crazy your stereo is but lowering the car correctly isn't exactly nothing for labor... plus you get to keep your hands clean doing autosound stuff vs. heavy suspension work. I do understand about the gift thing though.

A stock legacy will definitely feel better than an outback lowered to the same height.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have some thule racks that just go right on the fore/aft racks that are on the outback now, the legacys ive seen dont have that front/back rack... and im not too fond of just putting things on the roof with some foam inbetween as ive seen some people do.
Do you mean that some legacys do have that front back rack? or you have to get them?
and Rasterman, yeah i understand what your saying. I wish i had done more research before getting the outback, i think the legacy is what i wanted all along.
I told my parents i wanted a subie wagon, came back from school and they surprised me with the obw. so i guess now its just me deciding what i really want, to actually lower it, or just keep it. selling it is probably out of the question but worth posing during break.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have some thule racks that just go right on the fore/aft racks that are on the outback now, the legacys ive seen dont have that front/back rack... and im not too fond of just putting things on the roof with some foam inbetween as ive seen some people do.
Do you mean that some legacys do have that front back rack? or you have to get them?
and Rasterman, yeah i understand what your saying. I wish i had done more research before getting the outback, i think the legacy is what i wanted all along.
I told my parents i wanted a subie wagon, came back from school and they surprised me with the obw. so i guess now its just me deciding what i really want, to actually lower it, or just keep it. selling it is probably out of the question but worth posing during break.
Juiceman don't take this the wrong way - if you can't go to the Yakima or Thule site and look up rack options for the legacy - your going to find lowering your OB is very difficult and costly.

Just saying

If your still in College and a sailor like my self - little bit of advice #1 drive your car keep it maintained and save your money! #2 a car given to you is generally done because you don't have the funds to buy one your self - which case you should not be spending mad money on modifying it. ;-)

Do your self a favor spend your money on the sailboats the good boats don't loose value! I've been sailing since the 90's have owned 6 boats and so far the boats I've sold all sold for what I bought them for or more. The cost for them was simply the items I used ie wore out and replaced- sails - blocks etc.

Funny what the difference is between kids who get cars given to them vs kids who scrape and save for a car. My college car was a 89 single cab ford ranger short bed XLT I bought it from a US Marine it had 108,000 miles on it. I owned it for 5yrs drove it to my first job out of school for two years - sold it for $2000 less than I paid for it originally and it had 230,000 miles on it. Other than tires and oil I put zero money into it!

It got me from point A to point B with zero issues. Today the wife and I own two homes - three cars and a couple of boats. Which case I could modify my OB but I still consider it a waste of money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not taking that the wrong way. Its all sort of a fantasy anyway. im not too sure what i want to do. I guess im on here to get people to pursuade me one way or the other. You bring up some valid points haha
thanks, Maybe some day ill see you out on the water!
I just got a magic 25 into my possession, the money will probably go there in all honesty

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I undertsand the desire to sorta personalize your car. i know a lot of guys that accesorize their trucks and vehicles - some almost like women accesorize their clothing!

I lowered my WRX about 3/4" with stiffer spt springs, chose different/lighter rims, a few other items - but I probably will never do a lot of tuning on it - it's plenty fast enough for an old guy.

maybe investigate some other bolt-ons like rear sway bar, rims, tint, type stuff - then, as suggested, spend money on the fun stuff and let the transportation just take you to/from the beach or the mountains. Don't mistreat it, just let it do its thing and keep it clean/maintained.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Im not taking that the wrong way. Its all sort of a fantasy anyway. im not too sure what i want to do. I guess im on here to get people to pursuade me one way or the other. You bring up some valid points haha
thanks, Maybe some day ill see you out on the water!
I just got a magic 25 into my possession, the money will probably go there in all honesty
The Magic 25's are interesting boats. Very quick!

I miss my U20 sold it last year after racing it since 1998. My go fast fun ride is the RS Feva which my kids might be sailing in a few years. Fun to single hand it in the midwinters dinghy stuff. The 28ft slug of an Ericson 28 is our family RV on the water slower than **** but comfy.

I'm saving my clams for this one
Pogo 10,50 | Chantier naval STRUCTURES, constructeur des voiliers POGO (site officiel) :: STRUCTURES Shipyard, construction of sailing boat POGO (Oficial website)

The largest and fastest ride I will ever own. Wife and I met racing fast sailboats when the kids are out of daycare which is nearly $3200 a month we might fly over to Croatia and charter one for a couple of weeks and then ship it home. Assuming the Economy and US dollar doesn't do an epic pitchpole in the next few years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing