Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am used to having solid axles front and rear never had independent suspension.

When I drive over a short and high speed bump I can hear a creaking sound.
When I drive trough a minor corrugation I can hear a knocking sound. I am positive it is coming from the front driver (Right hand side in our country) side.

Vehicle has about 120 000km on (about 80000 miles)

Can anybody point me to a step by step for eliminating all the possibilities?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
has an inspection of the suspension not found anything?

there are many possibilities but, definitely check the lower control arm bushings (inner and rear/transverse link)

check the antisway bar mounts/bushings/endlinks too. almost seems like an antisway bar mount is loose but, just speculation.

WOOPS, typing too slowly!

time for bed here anyway

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Creaking could also be a worn out strut, my '03 does the same thing on rough road and speed bumps in the passengers side rear and I already replaced the rear endlinks just to make sure it wasn't them.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
disconnect the end link and drive around a little. you only have to unbolt one spot on each end. if you still hear noise its not the swaybar.

can you reproduce by bouncing the front end up and down while parked?

when up on jack stand is there any play in the tire (side/side or top/bottom)

take wheel off (while on jack stand) and look around. anyplace look like its rubbing (bare metal exposed/no rust). check behind strut boot and see if evidence of leaks.

by using process of elimination, squirt some spray lube making sure to do one joint at a time, and then go for a test drive.

I went through similar this summer and found it was my front end links. very hard to diagnose b/c unbolting those buggers are a pita. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IT is an 05 3.0R.

I am taking to test the struts this afternoon. I could not find loose bushings when I had the wheels off. Everything felt nice and solid. I will ask the workshop to double check that.

Clever idea about the spray on lube. thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK had it on a lift yesterday, and armed with a tire iron I tested all the joints on both sides. All jonts are nicely lubed.
Lower control arm bush hardly 1mm play
Stabilizer end joints no play
Ball joints have limited movement up and down, but nothing from side to side.
CV joints and boots are fine.
Struts are testing within spec
Only area I could find was the Stabilizer bar bushes keeping it on the chassis cross member. When I lever the stabilizer bar there is about 10mm of play (just below 1/2 inch) The bush in the bracket looks like it is a two part bush that sandwich the bar in the bracket. The bush will sort of separate with the force.

Please advise if this is normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
07 outback, pearl white
19 Posts
It's not normal, replace them, do the end links while you have it apart, if they are not too bad now, they will be soon.
Greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am doing some shopping online from subarupartsshop.com Had great service from them with my actuator, and delivery international took about 2 weeks.

Only problem is the shop is based in the US that is left hand drive, and in South Africa it is Rhand drive.

Anybody know weather the sway bar is different for LHD RHD?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bushes done end links replaced as well. Also found a torn CV on the passenger side that I rebooted with new grease.

All the funny noises are gone. And, strangely, the gear shifting of the 5sp auto is smoother.

·
Registered
07 outback, pearl white
19 Posts
Bushes done end links replaced as well. Also found a torn CV on the passenger side that I rebooted with new grease.

All the funny noises are gone. And, strangely, the gear shifting of the 5sp auto is smoother.
Glad to hear all is well again!:29:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts