Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, what do you think of this?

I replaced my control arms a few months ago, along with the transverse link bushings ('02 outback). Before that I was getting some pretty hard vibrations in the steering wheel at 65-75 mph. Lately I've been hearing a lot of popping noises coming from seemingly the front suspension, particularly so when doing tight parking-lot maneuvers, but also simply when first braking or accelerating (i.e., right as the suspension load shifts). Going over moderate bumps seems to produce no noise.

I just got back from having a shop check it out. Went for a ride with one guy, he seemed a perplexed by the noise, suggesting the noise was coming from strut mounts. It seemed to make sense as it was very noticeable when turning the wheel through its full range of motion. He lifted it up back at the shop to check that everything was tight and take a closer look at things, but still had to positive answer so he had another guy take it for a ride. Other guy came back and very confidently said it was the control arm bushing, said I must have gotten a bad part.

Does one or the other option make more sense to anybody?

Coincidentally, just last night I ordered a bearing press kit for a different job, so I could replace just the bushing if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
what kind of trans?

if auto, have you tried the FWD fuse?

if 5spd, do you have problems when the trans is stone cold? (in the first 5-10 minutes of driving)

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,863 Posts
what kind of trans?

if auto, have you tried the FWD fuse?

if 5spd, do you have problems when the trans is stone cold? (in the first 5-10 minutes of driving)
So you think its trans? I maybe have similar noises sometimes too and thinking what it could be. I have just vdc fuse

·
Premium Member
18,338 Posts
should be easy to check those new rear bushings - they might be fine but maybe a bolt is loose? they are supposed to be very highly torqued. (don't recall the number)

some folks have had the nut in the frame bust loose.

also, how are the axles? any split boots? are they oem or aftermarket?

do you feel popping or hear it or both? repetitive or random? could it be 6 times per wheel revolution? 3 times?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear bushing? Not sure if I have the right names for things here.
https://www.subaruparts.com/auto-pa...ne/front-suspension-cat/front-suspension-scat
When I said "transverse link bushing" I was referring to #8 in that diagram. The bushing that you press out is where the left side of #7 points, correct? Which one are you talking about. In trying to diagnose the noise myself last week I actually found one of the bolts holding #8 to the frame was loose.

Axles are original. Passenger side split maybe 6 months ago and replaced it with one of those glued-together-clamshell kits. Seems to be fine. The popping does not sound like CV clicking.

I don't think I feel it, not sure where I would feel it. No vibration in the steering wheel. Noise only happens when changing the steering angle, or changing the load (stopping/starting). If I drive at a constant speed and a constant steering angle, there is no noise.

·
Premium Member
18,338 Posts
yeah, rear lower control arm bushings or rear transverse link bushing - same thing.

there's huge force on that thing, braking and accelerating force is concetrated there - basically it where the 'pull' force from the wheels is transferred to the body of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, gotcha, thanks. Guy at the shop was definitely talking about the front bushing. I'll have a look-see at both.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
984 Posts
I've told this story a couple of times so I don't mind telling it again. When I replaced my front lower control arms earlier this year, I was also getting a clunk especially when pulling into a driveway off the street or going over the slightest abrupt bump. I went back and re-torqued all the fasteners affected in the job and found out that the rear bushing bolt was not torqued down to the proper spec. It was fastened, but way down in torque.

Once that was tightened, the clunk went away completely.

·
Registered
2005 Outback AT 265K Miles / 2005 Forester 2.5i Engine 140K Miles 140K MilesMiles 133K Miles
137 Posts
I replaced the LCA bushings, ball joints, and struts and shortly thereafter began to hear a popping/snapping noise when turning at low speeds. I re-torqued all the bolts thinking one was loose to no avail. With the help of a friend, I localized the noise to one of the strut mounts. I should have replaced them when I had everything else apart. Lots of extra work to save a few dollars on the mounts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts