Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone measured wheel travel on a Gen 4 Outback?

I love the way my 2011 handles **** roads. I added a 19mm rear sway bar for less roll on good roads, but the so called "floatiness" makes me suspect there's 6" or more of travel at each corner. It would be interesting to know how much there actually is, without performing my own surgery, if anyone's done it. My Googling got me nothing.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
I lifted my '11 a while back and at 2.5 inches of lift, the suspension is locked at full droop... doesn't seem like there would be much more than that in up-travel, so I'd guess we have about 5-6" of travel in the shock.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
I'm swapping out my rear struts. I'll see if I can't measure how far the stroke is while the springs are off. My WAG would be 5-6 inches realistically, even though the stroke on the strut is longer.

If I have time, I'll try and see what the max travel is without the strut in place, just as a talking point.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm probably getting an alignment after swapping them, I may pull the front apart just to see while I'm at it.

I have roughly the same lift Reactivity did, and I'm sure the super stiff aftermarket King springs are a limiting factor to the compression end of things. I imagine I'd blow tires out or push a tophat through the upper mounts (as in breaking the crap out of them) before managing to compress them all the way. Stock springs were a lot softer, you might actually get the full use out of them.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel travel would be measured with the strut in place minus the spring. I don't expect anyone to obtain that measurement, I just wondered if anyone had seen that spec.

·
Registered
619 Posts
That would make sense... Since the strut sits inboard of where the wheel is. Anyone out there done this?

Anyone?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts