Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, hows it going?

I currently have a 01 2.5l Outback. The engine has about 320,000km's on it. I'm thinking of putting in a new engine and possibly transmission.

I have a friend of mine who's willing to sell me a SVX 3.3L engine and transmission. I was wondering if anyone knows if it would fit and be worth it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
672 Posts
An interesting swap that I've thought would be neat...

I'm not sure if anyone can confirm, but I believe the transmissions used in the SVX were problematic. I recall hearing about many failures a long time ago, and they were very expensive to replace or repair.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The 3.3 engine is pretty popular with the aircraft guys. Very good engine and when torn down and professionally built back up they can be wicked engines.

I built a Veri EZE with my grand father back in the mid 80's - Our hangar in Napa had 6 Eze's and two Glassairs we had three guys running Subaru power. All three were professional pilots who also raced various planes up in Reno.

Our plane was AA EAA rated highest builder quality rating a EAA plane gets and we ran an old school reconditioned 100hp Lycoming in it. We ran it on Auto gas from the 76 station - 190mph cruise at 70% - flat out she would do about 230-240 however the speed restriction with the Eze was the fixed pitch prop and how high pitch you could run it and still find a runway long enough to get you up to speed 90mph with the high pitch prop. Once moving though that plane was and still is considered one of the best performing light aircraft ever sold in kit form.

Probably the best video I've seen of the little EZE

Most people thought the LongEZ was faster but it was actually slower than the Verieze without some sizable modifications. Fun times. Spoiled my interest in spending hours and hours flying 172's getting my license. Kinda like teaching your kid to drive in your 911 turbo and giving him the keys to the 1985 Honda prelude when he gets his license. HA HA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An interesting swap that I've thought would be neat...

I'm not sure if anyone can confirm, but I believe the transmissions used in the SVX were problematic. I recall hearing about many failures a long time ago, and they were very expensive to replace or repair.
I've heard about the SVX's transmission can be pretty faulty. I believe it was because it would overheat due to the lack of proper cooling and Subaru didn't actually have a proper transmission to handle the weight and power of the SVX at the time?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
3.0 from the same gen Outback is a lot easier to swap.

You could probably shoehorn in a 3.3 but be prepared to merge harnesses. Won't be plug and play. I'd be willing to bet the final drive ratio is different. . .meaning you'll need to find the correct ratio rear diff to match the front (assuming you use the SVX trans). Yours is a 4.44 now, SVX will probably be 4.10 or maybe even 3.90.Good news is those are relatively easy to source as they were all used in Legacy chassis vehicles as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
lockmedic
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing