Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2000 outback 5 speed, and the trany went bad, car was showing rust and other issues, so I decided to replace it. I found a 2002 for $900.00 that has a very good body on it but the timing belt had jumped off. So, I took the motor out of my 2000 and installed it in the 02, and yes I used the 02 intake with new intake gaskets. Got everything hooked back up, car wouldn't start, seemed like the timing was off? Checked for spark and had very weak spark on 2 of the cylinders, replaced the crank position sensor, and cam position sensor and still same? Replaced the PCM (from the 00, and yes they are both 5 speed) and car fired up, however....... the idle was @ 1750, and danced around 1000 - 2000 after you disengaged clutch. If you are not on the throttle the car tends to "lurch " I read the codes and what it said were the IAC (1507) and front o2 sensor. I replace the o2 sensor with a Subaru part and the code came back and it changed nothing? HELP.......

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I had a 2000 outback 5 speed, and the trany went bad, car was showing rust and other issues, so I decided to replace it. I found a 2002 for $900.00 that has a very good body on it but the timing belt had jumped off. So, I took the motor out of my 2000 and installed it in the 02, and yes I used the 02 intake with new intake gaskets. Got everything hooked back up, car wouldn't start, seemed like the timing was off? Checked for spark and had very weak spark on 2 of the cylinders, replaced the crank position sensor, and cam position sensor and still same? Replaced the PCM (from the 00, and yes they are both 5 speed) and car fired up, however....... the idle was @ 1750, and danced around 1000 - 2000 after you disengaged clutch. If you are not on the throttle the car tends to "lurch " I read the codes and what it said were the IAC (1507) and front o2 sensor. I replace the o2 sensor with a Subaru part and the code came back and it changed nothing? HELP.......
If you have a weak spark, why would you replace sensor... Any sensor?

I'd guess electrical grounds first, then look at spark wires and coil packs. Check them all. As for the random idle that might be vacuum leak. I haven't pulled a subie engine yet, by why did you pull off the intake? Hopefully someone can better help you with the code.

What your doing is admirable but when you Frankenstein a car, sometimes you miss stuff because you assume it's all good. Well, i should say I do that... not you... but I think you understand my meaning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the sensor's after I had already swapped out the coil (same results) and had new plugs and wires already installed. The reason I swapped out the intake, was I had gone to the local mechanic who repairs Subarus and he said the intake and wiring stays with the car. I already looked for the obvious bad ground and vacuum leak and had zero results. I work on my own cars not because I want to, but because I have to. Not really a Frankenstein since the motors are the same, but I like that.....we shall call it FRANKENSUBY!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I replaced the sensor's after I had already swapped out the coil (same results) and had new plugs and wires already installed. The reason I swapped out the intake, was I had gone to the local mechanic who repairs Subarus and he said the intake and wiring stays with the car. I already looked for the obvious bad ground and vacuum leak and had zero results. I work on my own cars not because I want to, but because I have to. Not really a Frankenstein since the motors are the same, but I like that.....we shall call it FRANKENSUBY!
Haha. Alright my man.:29: I never know if we are dealing with someone who says "where is the dip stick" or someone more like you.:cool:
I know your looking for a quick answer but think about it. If someone called you up and told you what you just told us... what would you say? ;) I always start with the obvious stuff.

If we can help you further it's best if you tell us all you did on this project so we can help you from where you are. We can't see the car after all.:29:

Now that we know ground, coil, plugs, and wires are all "good" i still say you should try to find the source of the weak spark. Of course then i have to ask the stupid question of "how did you determine the spark was "weak?" And why only on one side?

It sounds to me the car is not getting the correct information to keep the engine idling properly. Without seeing it though I'm at a loss as to where to go from here...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the car wouldn't start I went for the triangle first, air was easy, I knew I had that, and then fuel, I checked the fuel pressure @ the outlet of the filter and it was good, so i connecected my spark tester @ each plug, and you could see the difference. Both front plugs had a far weaker spark, so to verify the info, I put the spark plugs on the end of the wires and it would jump the gap on the back 2, but not the front. That is when I changed the CPS (same results) and the crank position sensor (same results). So grasping at straws and since I knew no history of the 2002 other than it wasn't running, i pulled the PCM out of my 2000 and installed it in the 02, and again I checked the spark, and it was clearly better, I re-installed the plugs, and the car started. Check engine light came on, so I pulled the codes and got 1132 (front O2 sensor), I replaced it, and 1507 (IAC) so I cleaned and examined the unit, and with it still plugged in but out of its socket you can hear/feel it trying to work but nothing happens? I tried to bench test it and it is as if the motor is not turning because there is no movement, but you can see it try and move?. I reinstalled it, and drove the car and the 1132 came back within seconds of starting the car, but the 1507 did not? but the car was still warm. Looks like my next step might be to take it to a mechanic and let him figure it out........I hope the IRS hurries with my tax return!

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Are the cam and crank sensors the one's that came with the motor or the car? Some years changed trigger point locations for the cam position sensor. The pulley nust be matched with the ECM in use or it will throw off the timing signal. If you use the car's ECM, use the cam pulleys from the car to match the signal. An alternative would be to use the ECM from the donor car.

EDIT: I see you swapped the ECM with improved results, so you found the initial problem. Make sure your parts are matched up then make sure all your timing marks are set right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts