Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. First post here. Long story, but I'm on my 3rd 2nd gen Outback. Recently my latest 02 Outback (manual) had the timing belt break. The car had plenty of other quarks. I now have an 03 Outback that is an automatic but even though it's the first auto I've driven, I'm afraid the transmission isn't so good. My question is, can I part out the manual donor and put the manual in the "new"automatic? I just put a new trans in the 02 last year, with a new propeller drive shaft. How plug and play is this, given the donor car? I found many posts about swapping H6, but not straight from a donor to another. Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Well since you have a whole donor vehicle, it will make the swap a whole lot easier. Subaru was nice enough to leave the clutch pedal & clutch master holes in the firewall. I'm sure it would be the same for other parts of the chassis as well, but it's definitely doable. I would personally do it, if I was in that situation. You will have to swap over the electrical components for the manual trans too & you should consider installing a new clutch kit with flywheel, unless they were replaced at the time of the trans install in the '02.... You will have to swap over the front & rear axles & rear differential from the '02 too, to match gear ratios & axle stubs from the manual trans & since it's a slightly older model....

If there is no write up for any type of swap, I usually just take some pictures of different areas of the car, to remember where things are located. Then in this case, pull everything related to the manual trans & auto trans, lay everything out in order & go from there. There is also a small metal cover/protector above the timing belt behind the plastic timing covers on the manual '02 that you will have to swap over to the '03 (it is suppose to prevent the timing belt skipping teeth with the manual trans).

I'd also recommend downloading an FSM to get torque specs for various fasteners.

Reactions: rasterman

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
why do you think the automatic is on its way out? does it have plenty of fluid? how does the fluid look. (new stuff should be cranberry red).

______

and I shift my 4EATs with the gated shifter all day, does not hurt them a bit.

_____

and moved thread to 2000-2004 land, from part/ performance.

_____

did a quick search here and found threads like this:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/25595-auto-manual-swap.html

_____

ECU: don't forget you need to swap or reflash, if you don't want a check engine light on always
..the auto trans TCU data to the ECU on the automatic.
and 2003 US spec legacy / outback cars have EGR,... 2002 do not....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. Eagleeye, I think the transmission is faulty for quite a few reasons. Again, I've never driven an auto before. However, there is some pull when it shifts between gears. Not a clunk or jerk, but a noticeable shift. When I purchased the car last week, I made sure to check the fluids thoroughly. The trans fluid was full and red. Now after 400 miles, it's not full and a grayish color. Also the "at oil temp" lights for 5 seconds on startup and sometimes flashes constantly. The car needs a new axle, as the front right Cv boot is torn. I've read this could be causing the at oil temp light situation, but I'm not convinced. Then today, there is a whine between 1st and 2nd (maybe 2nd and 3rd). Not always, but a few times, and usually when my foot is on the gas. Tell me this is all just because I need to fix the boot ASAP!! Haha, I know I'm wishful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts