Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback H4 AT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm just looking for confirmation on the swapability of a few 2001 Forester to 2003 Outback (base) parts, as I've come across a pretty nice-looking 2001 Forester parts car.
I'm looking at the Forester's:
wheel/tire package - same bolt pattern, offset, and tire size?
Front bumper, rear bumper, and side trim (door moldings) - mounting points and such?
Headlights, tail lights (on corners, not on the rear gate), and front turn signals - look similar from my particular vantage point, but am uncertain
Grill - same as above
Side-view mirrors

Anything special that I should be looking into?

Any old help would be appreciated!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Wheels- if 16" will work fine. Stock Foz tires were not the same size, but Outback size will fit those wheels.

Otherwise nothing you mentioned will fit.

·
Registered
2003 Outback H4 AT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if I can talk to guy into letting go of the mounted tires for less than it'll cost me to re-shod my wheels, that'll be good enough for me!

Thank you for the information, sir!

Aside from just repetition and time spent in forums, is there any kind of living reference for swapability questions like this?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Body parts are often swappable for same generations of vehicles, although the midcycle facelift can throw a wrench in that.

Check here for all the research you could want:
cars101.com

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
you might find easy commonality in the bodies of the gen1 forester (1998-02), remembering that the 98 had the turd EJ25D engine in it.

_______

you have to look up the individual part #s between foresters and outbacks.

forester is a built up impreza, and that makes for some unique parts only on foresters. particular to its body and gearing, not found on impreza, legacy, or any legacy outback.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Thank you both, gentlemen, for your keen insight!
Off to the rabbit hole of cars101.com!
best fit for all those forester parts is another forester 99-2002. (like taking 2 cars and making one).

even forester Ej251s have a few different bits on them then EJ251s for outbacks.

(and your outback has a Engine with EGR, ...only found on 2003-2004 outbacks and legacy).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts