Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC Limited and 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive done some searching on here and found a few different posts about this but some of the threads were quite old so I just wanted to make sure I got the most up to date info.

I want to lower my new outback but don't need to go crazy low - I live in Minnesota need to have some clearance for the snow! So I was thinking of just swapping out the strut assemblys with those from a Legacy GT. found a set for 300(used).

I wanted to see if a) 300 is a good deal for a set of front and rear struts. b)are there other pieces or modifications that are absolutely necessary for this swap to work perfectly and c) has anyone done exactly this with pictures of the swap?

any other info or advice y'all might have is appreciated!

·
Registered
2008 DBM 3.0R Legacy
47 Posts
How many miles and what condition are the struts in? Otherwise that's a pretty solid deal. Search on the legacygt forum cause there are a plenty of lowered Outback's on there.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
You will need to change out the sway bar endlinks for sure to shorter ones, (LGT). You will also want LGT rear bumpstops.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,564 Posts
For reference, around $350 gets you brand new KYBs from RockAuto... get that 5% and essentially get free shipping. Food for thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For reference, around $350 gets you brand new KYBs from RockAuto... get that 5% and essentially get free shipping. Food for thought.

+1 for the new struts.

Did the same thing in my 09 Outback. Alignment was pretty close after some adjustment. Ended up only needing a set of springs and rear bump stops (with new struts). Can't remember if I replaced the top hats but would be an excellent time for it.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles and what condition are the struts in? Otherwise that's a pretty solid deal. Search on the legacygt forum cause there are a plenty of lowered Outback's on there.
about 90k miles on the struts which is about what my car has anyway so I figure they should be ok? I do see someone else responded about some KYBs for $350 new so I may look into that. but the LGT ones come with the springs already so that is a plus...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will need to change out the sway bar endlinks for sure to shorter ones, (LGT). You will also want LGT rear bumpstops.
Good to know. They guy that is selling the struts has a whole LGT that he is parting out so I should be able to get all those parts easily. Other than those pieces everything should bolt on relatively easily with nothing else needed?

Thanks!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
about 90k miles on the struts which is about what my car has anyway so I figure they should be ok? I do see someone else responded about some KYBs for $350 new so I may look into that. but the LGT ones come with the springs already so that is a plus...
Unless your car has been severely beat on or overloaded with cargo, your springs are likely still good. 90K can be near the end of service life for struts, so my suggestion would be 4 new KYB struts from RockAuto, and the LGT endlinks and bumpstops.

·
Registered
2002 Base OBW H4 Winter Package
98 Posts
Did all 4 with KYBs on the 02 along with the mounts in front. World of difference!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless your car has been severely beat on or overloaded with cargo, your springs are likely still good. 90K can be near the end of service life for struts, so my suggestion would be 4 new KYB struts from RockAuto, and the LGT endlinks and bumpstops.
Looks like all four struts only comes to about $245 on rock auto so i'll go that route instead of buying used struts. as for the endlinks and bumpstops, would you recommend I get those new on rock auto as well or are those pieces ok to get from this guy that is parting out his LGT?

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
Forget the used parts. I can't imagine what you stand to gain by putting any used parts in at this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts