Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Subaru about two year ago, a 2006 2.5i limited 5speed OB & I’ve been missing out on how fun it is driving an AWD in new England. I’ve got a great deal on it and the body is in great condition with no rust. I see myself with this vehicle for another 5+ years but kind of regret not looking harder for the XT model.

I came across someone selling an 2005 OB XT motor, transmission, engine harness, ecu & hood for a very reasonable price. I am on the fence on this purchase and was wondering if this would be a plug and play type of swap as they are the same chassis and roughly the same year. Including the engine harness and ECU, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a fuss-free job. I plan on rebuilding the top end with oem parts before dropping it in. What do y'all think, worth it or a headache waiting to happen?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,225 Posts
not plug and play, you would also need the guage cluster from a XT and all the wires / harnesses. (not just the engine.)

to save time, energy, and your sanity, it is easy to find a XT with a bad engine already in it, and drop in another.

selling what you have to someone that wants it.

_____

long story short: not easy like trading a 305 chevy to a 350 in a 1985 half ton.

and the question gets asked like once every 2 months here. its even a pain in the ass to to go from 5EAT to 5 speed manual in such cars.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not plug and play, you would also need the guage cluster from a XT and all the wires / harnesses. (not just the engine.)

to save time, energy, and your sanity, it is easy to find a XT with a bad engine already in it, and drop in another.
I was afraid someone would say that. It sucks cause the shell I have is in great condition and its a limited version with all the bell and whistles (minus the turbo). Soooo what your saying is if i get the cluster and harness behind the dash this would be a plug and play??? lol I'm only asking cause the guy is parting out the vehicle and he has everything intact.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,225 Posts
I was afraid someone would say that. It sucks cause the shell I have is in great condition and its a limited version with all the bell and whistles (minus the turbo). Soooo what your saying is if i get the cluster and harness behind the dash this would be a plug and play??? lol I'm only asking cause the guy is parting out the vehicle and he has everything intact.

what I am saying is:

need a pit crew,...and that is a whole lot of beer to be forking out. (a project rarely done by anyone for a reason).

vs. getting a exact match EJ253 for your own car, and selling it. for $7000-8000

2005-2006 dead XTs can be bought for $1500 unrusted. ...laying around on craigslist all the time. (2007-2009 command a little more, and are a little better but get mixed in the same bunch too).

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Agreed. It's not impossible, but it's not an easy swap. The Legacy & Outback lost a lot of their "plug & play-ness" after the 2004 model year.

I think you're also going to need the body side front harness, cradle/crossmember, exhaust system, fuel pump, fuel lines*, pump harness, BIU module & ignition key from the XT. Donor & recipient aren't the same trim so there's probably a good bit of rewiring to do. You'll be good friends with your meter & soldering iron by the end.

There isn't really a magic combination of which pieces to grab to create a plug & play fit.

*Fuel lines:

Somebody check me on this- I recall that the 2006 2.5i had the new returnless fuel pump, where the same-year turbo cars had a traditional return system. This may mean you have to plumb in a return line from the engine bay to the tank. Somebody probably already solved this.

Craigslist is way easier. :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,225 Posts
Agreed. It's not impossible, but it's not an easy swap. The Legacy & Outback lost a lot of their "plug & play-ness" after the 2004 model year.

I think you're also going to need the body side front harness, cradle/crossmember, exhaust system, fuel pump, fuel lines*, pump harness, BIU module & ignition key from the XT. Donor & recipient aren't the same trim so there's probably a good bit of rewiring to do. You'll be good friends with your meter & soldering iron by the end.

There isn't really a magic combination of which pieces to grab to create a plug & play fit.

*Fuel lines:

Somebody check me on this- I recall that the 2006 2.5i had the new returnless fuel pump, where the same-year turbo cars had a traditional return system. This may mean you have to plumb in a return line from the engine bay to the tank. Somebody probably already solved this.

I found a solution, you buy a fancy new Hyundai sonata hybrid, (graft on a hatchback if they don't make a wagon).

and sell you 2006 XT to the OP, he parks it side by side with his car, and starts swapping,...one part at a time, until he also has a 2006 XT,...and 5 of his friends all have 3 more inches of beer gut fat on their waste-lines,

...and their wives have all left them,...for me.

a win, win for all.:jump:

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
*Fuel lines:

Fuel delivery....and its even deeper than this. The 2005 and 2006 (XT) have a fuel pump controller spidered into the mix, and spiders don't play nice.

There is more going on than you want to suss through...

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,559 Posts
Short answer? No.

Long answer? No (not truly "plug and play").

Fuel system design/controller
Bulkhead harness
Every CAN BUS'd module [ECU, Cluster, BIU, ABS, etc] (they ALL need to match as they are programmed with each other's unique ID)
Exhaust from turbo-to-resonator
Radiator

If you want more "fun", you're better off going the open source tune and supercharger route (still not ideal, but good for 6-7 psi). Or nitrous and some self control. Or sell it and grab an XT.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
No.

Used turbo engines aren't forgiving.

Maybe it was totaled after leaving the shop from a factory installed crate motor and new turbo...otherwise these aren't the most ideal craigslist special purchases.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solved!

Thanks for all the inputs, y'all crushed my dream into pieces. But really though, these are great points I did not consider. I really don't think I'll be selling the OB, I just rebuild the whole top end, installed all new Group N mounts and stiffened up other bushings.

If you want more "fun", you're better off going the open source tune and supercharger route (still not ideal, but good for 6-7 psi). Or nitrous and some self control. Or sell it and grab an XT.
I will do some research on the supercharger & tune. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
rs25.com has a subforum dedicated to those insane enough to do it. IIRC, Raptor Superchargers out of AUS has nice kits for the 06+ stuff.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,225 Posts

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
757 Posts
2006 fuel pump - my friend gave me one and it had 2 hook ups at least. I am not sure if that means it's returnless with 1 supply and 1 vent or something else. My 05 has 3 connectors. Supply return and vent or?? I'm sure the manual would tell us, or maybe just able to look in the engine bay to look for a return hose, or vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator (on passenger side under the intake manifold I think...)

I stopped posting a bit because I'm pretty much done and have been out there enjoying my car. We have been busy building a garage !!!

I have been going back and forth between going to a 8 psi pulley (roughly 200whp) , or trying a spare 10-11 psi pulley that I have here with 99 octane (220-230whp?) . I can't actually get an 8 psi pulley from Raptor right now, otherwise I'd just do that. I wonder if @RoughDiamond has any thoughts as to whether 10-11 psi on 99 octane (1 can of Torco per tank...) would work - I think you said you had a turbo Ej253 at one point. Clutch strength could come into play there in addition to the engine strength.. I think detonation could be avoided. Tim at Raptor says 8 psi all day on his intercooled setup is fine with 93.

People do mount up the cheaper Eaton superchargers, but it looks tricky. I'd love to see a Vortech H67B on a EJ253 also. It's the supercharger they put on BRZ's.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
2006 fuel pump - my friend gave me one and it had 2 hook ups at least. I am not sure if that means it's returnless with 1 supply and 1 vent or something else. My 05 has 3 connectors.
Returnless has the supply line and a vapor vent line. Old-school has both of those plus a third for oversupply being returned to the tank. Thanks for the information!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I stopped posting a bit because I'm pretty much done and have been out there enjoying my car. We have been busy building a garage !!!
Whoop and Right On...

It's why ... we do, what we do... so we can do.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have been going back and forth between going to a 8 psi pulley (roughly 200whp) , or trying a spare 10-11 psi pulley that I have here with 99 octane (220-230whp?) . I can't actually get an 8 psi pulley from Raptor right now, otherwise I'd just do that. I wonder if @RoughDiamond has any thoughts as to whether 10-11 psi on 99 octane (1 can of Torco per tank...) would work - I think you said you had a turbo Ej253 at one point. Clutch strength could come into play there in addition to the engine strength.. I think detonation could be avoided. Tim at Raptor says 8 psi all day on his intercooled setup is fine with 93.
10-11 psi is possible, might be pushing it on 99 (super pump gas). I know the SOHC heads can handle to 13 lbs (valves start floating at 6K+ RPM due to pressure), but it's the lightweight, short-crown pistons you have to be worried about. You add fuel and pull timing to keep the knock down and pretty soon you're back to barely any more power than 8 lbs.

However, with a decent intercooler, E85, and meth, you could go nuts at 10 lbs and start touching WRX/STI levels of torque. Add that with a long-runner 2.5RS manifold and you'd have peak torque at like 1500 RPM.. lol

A good stage 1/HD OEM clutch should be a rough as you go. While the trans were updated in 2005, the NA ones are still not "bulletproof", especially the full chassis weight and new-found torque. The 4.44 FD will help, but it only goes so far. You want the clutch to be your "mechanical fuse". A new clutch/flywheel is cheaper than a trans.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
757 Posts
@RoughDiamond Ah cool, thanks for the info. No access to E85 here. just for clarification i was thinking of 93 AKI + 1 can of torco accelerator per tank (yields about 99 AKI - ... I wasn't sure if you thought I meant 99 RON like they have in Australia and other places . this has caused confusion on some of the forums). If that is still the case, seems more and more like 8 psi and a good tune on 93 is just kind of the sweet spot for this setup, for power, cost, and longevity (Mine is water/air intercooled for what it's worth).

For the OP if you would like to come check out my car sometime I am 3 hours north of you in Warren VT. I'd like to Dial it up a little bit though before you check it out. I think the 6 psi setup will leave you wanting a little more!!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
@RoughDiamond Ah cool, thanks for the info. No access to E85 here. just for clarification i was thinking of 93 AKI + 1 can of torco accelerator per tank (yields about 99 AKI - ... I wasn't sure if you thought I meant RON like they have in Australia and other places . this has caused confusion on some of the forums). If that is still the case, seems more and more like 8 psi and a good tune on 93 is just kind of the sweet spot for this setup, for power, cost, and longevity (Mine is water/air intercooled for what it's worth).
Yeah, I figured you meant AKI... I call it super pump as it's not quite CAM2 and definitely lower than AV GAS. I am always leery about home-brew mixes as even though your technique is flawless, the materials could be way out of wack. You think you've got 99, you've really got 90. Or 105. or 87. (Not to say E85 is any better. I've seen it swing from ~50% to 90%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts