Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing the sway bar upgrade tonight I was having trouble getting the nut on the end link off (did not notice the hex slot due to angle i was laying) and as a result tried gripping it at various spots with some pliers while unscrewing it.

While removing the bar after the nut was off, some grease oozed out of the end link assembly, which is surrounded by a kind of sealed (?) rubber shroud.

So my question is, should that grease be sealed in tight rather than oozing out, and did i puncture the rubber housing while being inept?

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Yes, you did, sorry to inform you. Really though, it's not a big deal. You can put it together and drive it for several days (well really, a lot longer than that, but don't put it off); get another one when you get a chance, and just swap it.

Don't feel bad, everyone's probably done that once. You won't make that mistake again, unless you decide to (sometimes it's easier to destroy a boot than to do it right, some of those parts get so rusted up they won't come off even with the right tool.)

edit: thinking about it, you might have just squeezed a little out around the shaft. Take a good look, clean it up well, see if you can find a tear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you did, sorry to inform you. Really though, it's not a big deal. You can put it together and drive it for several days (well really, a lot longer than that, but don't put it off); get another one when you get a chance, and just swap it.

Don't feel bad, everyone's probably done that once. You won't make that mistake again, unless you decide to (sometimes it's easier to destroy a boot than to do it right, some of those parts get so rusted up they won't come off even with the right tool.)
As i feared :)
Thanks man, ill order a new one and toss it on.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Edited last post, take a look. (was editing as you replied).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's say I pull the endlink off and inspect it, and there's no tear and I just squeezed some grease out where the rubber sheath grips around the bolt.

Is it possible or wise to try and add grease back in, or better to just replace? I examined it and didn't immediately see a way to get grease back in, short of using something with a narrow tip slid past the rubber to inject it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
723 Posts
I'd just replace it. I think you're asking for trouble by using the old one as even if you somehow were able to get grease back in it would still come back out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts