Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1007 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my factory STI bar. I bought the bar on line from a dealer that had a good price. After installing I took the car for a test drive. The bar really helps cut down on some of the under steer. It does NOT eliminate the under steer. I would think you might need a 22mm or larger bar to eliminate it. The STI bar is a good bar for those who want better on highway and good off highway performance.

A few things you need to know.

You do NOT need to jack up the car.
You do NOT need new end links.
You DO need new larger bushings but the bar I ordered came with them.
You DO need a 12mm and 14mm socket and ratchet.
You do NOT need to drive the car up on ramps.

This was the easiest mod I have ever done. On a scale of playschool to rocket engineer its a playschool +1.

How to:
Crawl under car.
Un-bolt 2 14mm link nuts
Un-bolt 4 12mm bushing bolts
Remove bar
Place new larger bushing on new bar
Place new bar into position
Insert one end link and thread on 14mm nut
Insert other end link and thread on 14mm nut
Screw in 4 12mm bolts through bushing brackets
Tighten all nuts and bolts.
Test drive

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Once again...you are the master of the mod...we should make you the mod...erator :D

I take it that the dog is the service manager...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again...you are the master of the mod...we should make you the mod...erator :D

I take it that the dog is the service manager...
Why yes he is and he is a heck of a lot smarter than the ones Ive dealt with so far. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Um...just one problem... It looks like your new bar is mounted upside down.

Compare pic #1 of the original bar with pic #12 of the new bar. The offset section of the bar is supposed to be oriented so that is rises up to ensure it clears the exhaust pipe. I'm sure the handling benefit is no different in this configuration but you are likely to hear a bad rattle when driving with a full load instead of just the pup in the back.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um...just one problem... It looks like your new bar is mounted upside down.

Compare pic #1 of the original bar with pic #12 of the new bar. The offset section of the bar is supposed to be oriented so that is rises up to ensure it clears the exhaust pipe. I'm sure the handling benefit is no different in this configuration but you are likely to hear a bad rattle when driving with a full load instead of just the pup in the back.
Son of a gun it looks like you are right. Thanks I will have to flip it over. Nothing like posting a "how to" and do it backwards huh? :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Problemchild: Apparently you dog was not paying enough attention, looks like you may need to consider replacing him too :D
I Could easily see myself doing the same thing!

Please let us know which way of mounting the RSB resulted in the best handing improvement :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problemchild: Apparently you dog was not paying enough attention, looks like you may need to consider replacing him too :D
I Could easily see myself doing the same thing!

Please let us know which way of mounting the RSB resulted in the best handing improvement :D
Yeah I caught him sleeping at the switch. Dang dog is a magnet to pillows.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK

I switched the bar around tonight. It did effect handling. The car is less sensitive now. Less "twitchy". Its actually better. I did not like how sensitive it had became after the change. Who would have thunk it?

1 - 20 of 1007 Posts