Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback, 2.5l,
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a great many very positive posts about swapping to a 19mm swaybar on the Outbacks for improving on-road handling. Can anyway tell me more about the impact on off-road handling? Is the ride rougher on fire roads and washboard? We go over the hills and through the woods quite a bit.

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
do you have a 2.5 or a 3.6? (so many H6 cars in colorado).

if you hit the link in my signature next to the ?, you can fix that.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
I'm just a flatlander on pavement, but from what I've read, you want less/no anti-roll bar 'effect' to get more articulation.

what kind of 'off road' ? graded gravel is a lot different from 'rock crawling'.

you want to stay with your present bar - maybe experiment with disconnecting one end next time your on dirt.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
@Brucey is running a 20mm on his rig, he off-roads alot. He does have heavier off-road tires.

I think you want to stick with the 16mm stock and add performance bushings. Or possibly the 18mm bar from the Crosstek I just recently found out existed.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,422 Posts
You lose less than three inches of travel going to a thicker sway bar.

I know this because you lose less than three inches of travel not having ANY sway bar.

Just power out of it and you'll be fine.

I still think comfort could be better on extremely rough roads with no sway bars.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
^^^^ cool pics!

awesome demonstration of the effect.

bigger difference than I would have guessed.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited 5A, 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium CVT
31 Posts
@Brucey is running a 20mm on his rig, he off-roads alot. He does have heavier off-road tires.

I think you want to stick with the 16mm stock and add performance bushings. Or possibly the 18mm bar from the Crosstek I just recently found out existed.
Traildogck... so, that's where the 18mm sway bar comes from. Does it fit the OB, then? And... are you going to make bushings for it?
I still think the guy I bought my OB from did a swap with my swaybar, 'cause it's not even 16mm. I've found other evidence of suspicious "character" involving his work on this car.
I went through a "brushless" car wash last week, and the high pressure spray took a bunch of the clear coat off in several places.
I am still interested in moving forward with a swaybar and bushings... just not sure yet which combo.

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Traildogck... so, that's where the 18mm sway bar comes from. Does it fit the OB, then? And... are you going to make bushings for it?
I still think the guy I bought my OB from did a swap with my swaybar, 'cause it's not even 16mm. I've found other evidence of suspicious "character" involving his work on this car.
I went through a "brushless" car wash last week, and the high pressure spray took a bunch of the clear coat off in several places.
I am still interested in moving forward with a swaybar and bushings... just not sure yet which combo.
I ran down the part number you mentioned.

I am not sure if I am going to make one yet. Possibly, probably. I am always cash-poor the week after rent is due. LOL. I have to manage my R&D funds.

I still don't know your rear sway bar origin. Since all 2010 - 2018 Legacy/OBs come with a 16mm bar from the factory.

·
Registered
2010 Outback, 2.5l,
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone. So it sounds as though fire roads and basic 4wd roads would be more comfortable on the stock swaybar but daily highway/city driving would benefit from the bigger swaybar. Am I understanding that correctly? So it boils down to where I spend most of my driving time?

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone. So it sounds as though fire roads and basic 4wd roads would be more comfortable on the stock swaybar but daily highway/city driving would benefit from the bigger swaybar. Am I understanding that correctly? So it boils down to where I spend most of my driving time?
In theory...

However, we should be realistic here. When you are off-roading ... it's bouncy, jarring and full of impacts. I actually really do NOT think from a passenger stand point, it's going to be anymore comfortable off-road. What will happen with the bigger rear bar ... you are going to lift a wheel easier and more often.

If you want better onroad handling, upgrade your stock rear sway bar bushing to the CKE SSP 85d for the 16mm bar.

Or get yourself a 18mm or 19mm bar. I still think the 20mm on a 2015-2018 is too big for the car if you are planning on leaving the pavement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts