Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 outback graphite gray metallic , should I be alarmed by swirl marks from factory when sun shines on just right? any one else noticed on there graphite grey. Should i just accept as I have before with obsedian black pearl or try to remove. I didnt think grey was that dark of color when I bought, I think best to leave well enough alone or should I try a product.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
I also have the swirl left front fender, small area, can't see it all the time depends on the sun like you said, I have some (Plexus) I will try when the weather breaks, it's excellent on motorcycle rims,gas tanks,bags helmets, But I think I can live with it,maybe i can use some rubbing compound, lightly,and try that if the plexus doesn't work, but is good stuff been using it for 10years, has a good reputation, or do you think we could get it re painted, they could make it worse, I hate the thought fighting to get that done.

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim, I feel the same way, repainting is out. Its just when sun hits just right. some rubbing compound and I will try the plexus, it should fill in scratches

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Ah, the dreaded DISO (dealer installed swirl option). ;) I would try a round of clay bar cleaning, then a quality polish followed by a good coat of wax. I would only use rubbing compound as a last resort as it's usually "rougher" than polish. Take a look at the Meguiar's website. Not pimping their products but the forums have a lot of discussion on DISO. I have used some of their stuff and the #7 polishing compound is my fave.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
3-M makes some good stuff comes in a series grits you can't buy it in a normal auto parts, you have to go to a commercial auto paint store
Example West Penn Laco Co. Pgh.Pa.
I would have to search out here in the state of In.
But I'll go with Plexus first.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
587 Posts
Ah, the dreaded DISO (dealer installed swirl option). ;) I would try a round of clay bar cleaning, then a quality polish followed by a good coat of wax. I would only use rubbing compound as a last resort as it's usually "rougher" than polish. Take a look at the Meguiar's website. Not pimping their products but the forums have a lot of discussion on DISO. I have used some of their stuff and the #7 polishing compound is my fave.
I guess by DISO, you mean it happened when the dealer cleaned/ detailed the car? I lucked out and didn't have any....until someone backed into my car and I had to get the door painted. Took the shop 4 times to get it right :28:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I guess by DISO, you mean it happened when the dealer cleaned/ detailed the car? I lucked out and didn't have any....until someone backed into my car and I had to get the door painted. Took the shop 4 times to get it right :28:
Thats why I'm going to do it myself or try, if not I'll live with it.

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clay bar

Yes Meguires is good stuff. I use some of there stuff now but I seem to like Mothers better. Like Mothers new synthetic wax ( though doesnt last worth a ****) All I can say is A Lot of Work to clay bar clean. I forgot about DISO makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
meguires black wax

2012 outback graphite gray metallic , should I be alarmed by swirl marks from factory when sun shines on just right? any one else noticed on there graphite grey. Should i just accept as I have before with obsedian black pearl or try to remove. I didnt think grey was that dark of color when I bought, I think best to leave well enough alone or should I try a product.
What about meguires black wax? it says for black to dark colors. I have used on black obsedian pearl with good results (hide swirl marks) would it work on graphite gray?

·
Registered
405 Posts
ICE, by Turtle Wax is real nice to work with, no residue between the doors,hood, trunk,fenders.

·
Registered
40 Posts
meguiars ultimate compound works very well, and then swirl remover. see, its right in the name! lol if they are very light, meguiars ultimate polish will work, as well.

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
meguiars ultimate compound works very well, and then swirl remover. see, its right in the name! lol if they are very light, meguiars ultimate polish will work, as well.
thanks RonRizz, swirl marks are fine enough for ultimate polish I think, I will give this a try next time before I wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts