Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Perma Plate with the dealer and car looks nasty! Swirls all over it. Looks really bad in the sun. Should the dealer fix this? can this be fixed or did they ruin the paint with the Perma Plate?:mad:

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Swirls can be fixed...by the right person. If you don't trust them to fix it whom ever did the perma plate should at least pay to fix it.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
^One of those snake oil things dealers try to sell you at signing.
Had a similar thing done to our camry when we bought it. Only once I researched after the fact did I find it's bs. Unfortunately, in our OPs case, they ended up putting surface scratching in his paint. You'll need a good two stage polish (minimum) and then wax to get that out. And your dealer's detailing department should provide just that service; if not, make em pay for it elsewhere.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
I agree with Latigo. If you don't trust them doing to do it, find a detailer in your area and tell the dealer you want them to pay for it.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
For future reference, the factory paint will last the life of the car as long as you keep it clean and waxed. Any treatments applied by the dealer are more for enhancing their bottom line than the life of your paint.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
It can be corrected by the right person with the right tools. I'd hook you up if you were in South Tx.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are they swirls from scratches from an orbital polisher or just unevenly applied sealant? If they have scratched it, you are talking about a lot more and I agree, you need someone who really knows what they are doing to fix that. Anybody who put swirls in a new car applying a surface treatment should not be trusted any further.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
You don't remember checking that box? The DISO box? Dealer Installed Swirl Option? It's usually installed at the clean up and final service at time of sale by a boneheaded "detailer"! Like others have mentioned it can be corrected by the right person and proper tools and more importantly the skill to fix it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Perma Plate=Perma Ripoff
Why did you agree to that high profit $25 dealer wax job?
My car is now 9 mo old and not a swirl or scratch anywhere.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,042 Posts
For the life of me I don't understand why some people get so entangled in the dealers web of BS and deceit. All these protective packages are there just to inflate the bottom line. For years the Toyota dealers down here 'sold' this 'mandatory' 'Toyocare' :rolleyes: $600 protection package that many people fell for. My friend threatened a lawsuit and the charge disappeared from the paperwork. NO dealer can force you to buy into their scam. If they try, you RUN away fast.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I know how most people feel about perma plate and I should have thought more about it but I had it done to my 2004 Liberty and the paint on that thing has stayed beautiful but it is also a light color. I think I will take it to a detail shop first and see what there opinion is, I really dont trust the dealer to fix it, as bad a job as they did on this thing they dont deserve another shot even if I end up having to pay out of my own pocket to fix it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stopped by the dealers today, they said they had one other BBP and it had the same problem, it was very difficult, showed everything. The are going to get it in tomorrow morning, service manager wasn't there but they said they may send it out to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
167 Posts
I bought my car with this type of defect in the paint/clear coat. Sure would like to know how best to remedy. Mine looks like the previous owner waxed the car with steel wool :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stopped by the dealers today, they said they had one other BBP and it had the same problem, it was very difficult, showed everything. The are going to get it in tomorrow morning, service manager wasn't there but they said they may send it out to get it taken care of.
Yes, black and other dark finishes will show every scratch but a new car really shouldn't have any. This is why I make them write DO NOT WASH on the service order when I take in my Infiniti. I also tell them not to wash it very very clearly. My car still does not have swirls after 50K miles because I wash it by hand and wax with my own Porter cable random orbital buffer. But I care what it looks like. Other people, like my wife, couldn't care less.

I would want to know where they are going to send it and talk to the guy. Some idiots make it worse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought my car with this type of defect in the paint/clear coat. Sure would like to know how best to remedy. Mine looks like the previous owner waxed the car with steel wool :(
You need to (or have someone) wash the car and remove all waxes etc. Then start with a swirl remover polish and follow up with a final polish before sealing and waxing. Whether you need one or more successively more fine polishes depends on how bad the scratches in the clearcoat are. The type of pad you use on your orbital buffer also affects how abrasive the polish will be. One can even use the same polish with different pads to achieve progressively finer finish. Menzerna make a good line of products. You see why I would not trust a dealer to do this correctly?

·
Registered
89 Posts
What I would do in general, if you are not obsessed with this stuff and like doing it yourself, is to go and ask the high end automobile dealers, like Porsche or even BMW where they send their cars and I would go talk to the detailer to see whether he really is interested in his work and can explain what he will do. It is well worth the couple of hundred or more it will cost to have a $25-30K car's finish restored properly. To me anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, black and other dark finishes will show every scratch but a new car really shouldn't have any. This is why I make them write DO NOT WASH on the service order when I take in my Infiniti. I also tell them not to wash it very very clearly. My car still does not have swirls after 50K miles because I wash it by hand and wax with my own Porter cable random orbital buffer. But I care what it looks like. Other people, like my wife, couldn't care less.

I would want to know where they are going to send it and talk to the guy. Some idiots make it worse.
Just got the car back and it is Beautiful!! Looks like a different color. They took it to one of the 2 places around I would have if I had to fix it so I'm pretty happy right now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts