Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2010 Outback I did the jumper wire mod to make the rear 12v accessory port always hot. I have an LED strip on my awning that I plug into with via an adapter. I purchased the below link thinking it would be nice to see the voltage and not have to use an adapter, however I wasn't thinking and the LED lights on the outlet will be a draw. So I would like to install a switch next to the outlet in the rear. My question is .....Can I run the power directly through the switch or should I use a relay for this? It is currently on a 10amp fuse

Lighted.jpg

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,205 Posts
There's plenty of more than adequate 10A switches out there, you can just keep it simple.

And although he USB / voltmeter you linked to doesn't appear to spec quiescent current, there's a chance it's way down in the 10's to100's of uA - that's what indicator LEDs tend to draw these days. If this is a daily driver, you might just get away with no switch at all.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,346 Posts
There's plenty of more than adequate 10A switches out there, you can just keep it simple.
One thing to note is that switches rated for both AC and DC sometimes have a lower voltage and/or current ratings for DC than AC - you want to use the DC ratings if both are given.

On the other hand... switches are cheap, the voltage is low, and the use is not critical, so it may not be worth overthinking this. If it quits working - either it won't turn on or won't turn off after a while - replace it with a better switch.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the outlet today without adding a switch, however I do have one on order..

outlet.jpg

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install looks good; did it fit the existing cutout without any modifications to the car?
I had to trim out the hole some with a sanding roll on my Dremel.. also cut off the factory outlet connector and put on two blade connectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts