Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 2006 subaru outback. Of course, it has no aux input. The local shop quoted me $220 to put in the aux.

It almost seems more reasonable to buy a new radio-but I don't know which ones would fit.

I have the radio in the picture attached.

Does anyone have any idea what newer radio might fit when I have the climate control attached to the bottom?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Did you look in the Center Console? If im not mistaken most Outbacks 05-09 outback has the Aux under the arm rest/ center console....

When you open it it should look something like this...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly no. I've read that they started including aux in the console starting in 07. I don't even have the punch out hole for an aux port.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Sadly no. I've read that they started including aux in the console starting in 07. I don't even have the punch out hole for an aux port.
Well i think the radio supports it if it has a Aux button on it.. if so you need to get the wiring for the Aux cable. If it does not.. then you need a radio that does support it with the Aux cable wireing. and the correct console with the hole in it to install it.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Looks like you will need a new head unit that supports the Aux and SAT function.

This is the one i believe you will need

P-204UH by the link i posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help! Dumb question but what is the name of the part I'm trying to replace haha? I'm on carparts.com and I'm at a loss for what part to look under

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
That looks like a new parts retailer.

You need a used stereo head unit removed from a 2007+ car, as described above. You aren't going to find one new from anyone. (Ok Subaru might have some left at ridiculous prices)

There are other ways to solve the problem but this is probably the simplest and most cost-effective.

Try car-part.com and call the local auto wreckers/recyclers.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Jazzy engineering is still making his parts to fix this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Jazzy looked like a good idea initially until I read some reviews that the installation can be less than quick.

Found a head unit on ebay from an 08. My local shop said the wires wouldn't match up in my 06 and the aux wouldn't work.

BUT the ebay seller says he has it in his 05 and it does work.

Does anyone have knowledge if the wiring will be comparable?

Theres a pic of the 08 radio attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
The wiring that WON'T match up is the actual aux input harness from the back of the radio to the bottom of the console bucket. So get that from the donor car as well.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
The Jazzy looked like a good idea initially until I read some reviews that the installation can be less than quick.

Found a head unit on ebay from an 08. My local shop said the wires wouldn't match up in my 06 and the aux wouldn't work.

BUT the ebay seller says he has it in his 05 and it does work.

Does anyone have knowledge if the wiring will be comparable?

Theres a pic of the 08 radio attached.
I'm almost positive the wiring harness is the same from '05-'09, with the exception that some of the '09 H/K stereos had amplifiers installed as well (but this one won't).

That headunit should help improve the sound quality, too. If you get it, hold down the audio button for a couple seconds (until it beeps). This activates the SRS-Wow feature and makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
The install of the Jazzy is mostly the same as for putting in a new radio. Once you have the radio out, I remember it being pretty straight forward and quick to disassemble a few things to get access to the connector for the aux board.

I wouldn't let the install stop you. If you can swap radios, you can install the jazzy solution.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Yeah the main connector for the stereo and the secondary for the climate control are all the same 05-09. There's an extra connection for the remote aux input from 07 up.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
If he won't include that, is there a way I can buy that part separately?
I haven't looked, but I'm sure you can find one.

I might not be 100% accurate here, but I think there was an iPod interface module that you could add on to that headunit in place of the satellite radio. Might be worth considering if you plan on using such a device.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
If he won't include that, is there a way I can buy that part separately?
I'm sure it has a part number- or possibly a few. Maybe in the opposed forces catalog?

Dunno if Subaru would still stock any, but getting a part # is a good start.

I just peeked, it's #19 in this list.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_29/electronic/audio_parts_radio/illustration_1/

Not clear whether it is the terminal plug alone or if it includes the wiring.

I would probably just make up the wire from scratch, cheaper and easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts