Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blue XT I'm considering is a 5spd Automatic with the sportshift stick.

I'm wondering how hard would it be to switch the shifter on the console to shift up when pulled towards me and shift down when pushed? I would imagine it would be electronically controlled and if I switch the switch around, it might work..

I don't know why Subaru which should have plenty of experience with Sequential trannies that it is convention to have the shift pattern in this fashion. Their WRC experience should mean something!

My other car, a Toyora MKIII MR2 Spyder is a sequential and that is like that, I'm pretty sure BMW's SMG is like that and all the WRC cars do that....

Jay

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
I don't know whether it is electronically switched or what. Problem is that it has the + and - on the console and I don't think you can change that.

I think a reason they went backward shift for down gears and forward for up gears is because of the display on the dash. There is an arrow displayed next to the gear number you're in telling you whether you are able to change up or down (depending on the speed/rpm you're doing). Arrow facing downwards for down shifting gears would logically correspond for backwards on the shift lever and arrow facing upwards to correspond with forward shift of the gear lever. I believe this is for idiot proofing, as I bet you could see people making mistakes as to the arrow direction on the dash display was different to the way the gear shift direction worked.

Having said that, I agree with you and believe it would be better to forward shift for down gears and visa versa.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I haven't seen an XT yet, only had a chance to look at the base 2.5i and an 3.0R LLBean but that's when I saw the automatic shift pattern which I figured would be the same on the XT, just that the XT has steering wheel controls whereas the LL beans have audio controls on the wheel.

I don't mind if the console still lists "+" or "-" incorrectly, but I think it should be doable if one can get access to the wires or sensors easily.

Jay

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
I think it can be done but there'd be a ton of techno computer crap you'd have to sort through. I wouldn't care to have to deal with that crap, you'd probably have to have a Subaru engineer work on it so that it would function properly. I'd say screw it, just get a manual XT :D

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From an engineering standpoint (I'm a software engineer), there has to be a relay mounted in the sportshift which tells the tranny ECU to shift up or down. The really cool way to "fix" this is an easy software modification to the tranny ECU.. basically switch the software to read the "pull stick" to shift up and "push stick" to shift down. Obviously, that would be the slick way but you would have to be a Subby engineer to do such a thing or be a really great hack to get access to the binary and reverse compile the ECU code.

The garage-shop mechanic's way of modifying this would be to open up the shifter console to see if one can simply reverse engineer the relays that send the ECU the signal that a shift has been made. If one can switch the relays, you will fool the ECU into the correct pattern.

This is more of something one could do if one felt very brave in being the first to open up the shifter console!

The lazy and least probable way of modification is to whine to Subaru and ask them to reprogram my ECU to do that!!

Jay

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I hated it at first as it was back to front to my previous car (Mazda 6) but it's the same way that BMW's do it.. there's no real standard out there, seems half the companies do it one way and the other half the other. I was told by the salesman "forward to go up, back to go down" sorta makes sense. Doesn't the XT have steering wheel paddles tho? If I had those I'd never use the stick to shift. :D

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the XT has steering wheel paddles (+/- on the right and left of the wheel.)

but sometimes I like the feel of the gearshifter.

Perhaps the automatic shifters are like the Outback's pattern, but I am more familiar with the way a sequential tranny would be
and would prefer that anyway since I'm already used to it in my MR2.

I also happen to like watching WRC racing.

Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts